Skylar's xray

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you sure our chins aren't related??LOL!! Roo would bite the tips of the syringe too! I finally learned that if I just squezed a little ribbon of the mixture out of the syringe he would lick that off. I learned that he just didn't want the syringe tip actually in his mouth.I also learned to get myself comfortable and things in reach and calm myself down before we started.These guys really pick up on your moods.

Thanks Asha! I really am trying. Just let her out to run around the hall for 10 minutes.

Mercy, maybe they are! She really is fiesty! I mean you would think I took a knife to the syringe! She tore it up! However, right now if it isn't put it in her mouth, she totally ignores it! I THINK she liked the pedialyte (sp). So far the pumpkin seems to be a flavor she doesn't hate. We'll see!

Pumpkin was a winner with my guy. I'm not sure if you want to continue the Pedialyte though? I'll let some of the more experienced folks chime in on that.Really the Pedialyte might take enough edge off her appetite that she is refusing feeds.I was told by several more expereinced folks not to give any fluids other than what the food is mixed with and also not to be concerned if he didn't drink water from his bottle while hand feeding. They said that the syringe feed has enough liquid in it(esp when you take into account that he's also getting liquid meds and gas drops) so concentrate more on getting syringe feed and meds in him more than fluids.

Mercy I was just going to ask about the Pedialyte.

I know she is getting fluids with her food, but is it enough to keep her food soft enough in her gut to not get her constipated???

I am on day 7 now with no poop. I don't get it at all! Her belly is feeling full, but not hard... like when you feed a baby chin, you can tell when they have a nice full warm belly... hers doesn't feel that full..... so where is all this food going??? Is it still not enough to produce poop!? Im just so confused.

She is on a one level cage (a run cage actually) and I have a white pad down so I can see everything. Is it possible she is eating the little amount of poo she may be producing???

I let her out to run for 10 min last night. She has energy. You would think if she was plugged up, she wouldn't??? Or is she just still hiding it so well that I should worry about her just dying one morning bc she hid it!?

I suppose its possible she could be eating the poop. Maybe since she is sick, she feels the need to do so more than usual? Also, I was wondering, has she eaten any hay/pellets on her own that you can tell?

As far as her running around acting normal, its possible that she could be hiding pain, but at the same time I tend to think its still a good sign that she has energy. In my mind, I kind of think "Ok, this chin is sick but at least she has the energy to continue to hide any symptoms". Whereas, when one of my girls became very ill with some bizarre symptoms, she had no energy left in the end. She did not act normal and hid nothing. She wouldn't play or anything even when I tried to get her to. She would try to walk and then return to sit on my lap.

What you are describing reminds me of when my sister's boyfriend's chin got sick about 6 months ago. He acted just like you are describing when he got sick with bloat which developed into stasis due to the stress of a cross country move. My sister's bf wasn't too experienced with chins at the time. I told him what to do and gave him some CC from my emergency kit and he also took him to the vet. Same as you, there was still no poop after like a week and I was starting to get really concerned for him. His chin had just as much energy as usual despite being ill and enjoyed running around as he always had. He also had issues getting his chin Lucky to eat enough CC. However, sure enough, Lucky slowly started to nibble hay and pellets on his own. He actually made a full recovery from the stasis and has had no issues since. I must admit I was rather surprised given the reports my sister was giving me of Lucky's progress because it wasn't sounding so good (day after day with no poop) for awhile there. I would say don't give up! Our chinnies can be surprising critters sometimes! Don't give up hope, and just keep in mind too that stasis can involve a lengthy recovery sometimes.

Asha, Thanks SO much for giving me some hope to thrive on!!!

I know a few days ago I caught her holding hay and at least chewing it in half. I need to give her some fresh hay bc hers has been in there a few days now. Maybe she will show interest in fresh hay. I haven't seen her eat any of her pellets and the bowl weighs the same. She does chew on sticks when I put them in. Whatever flavor I gave yesterday must not be a favorite bc she didn't do too much to it... the one the day before she shredded up pretty well.

I know how good they are at hiding illness so I do worry that she is hiding it well. I hate to really feel good about her having energy bc I worry I will be that much more upset if she doesn't make it. When they look pathetic, you have some time to harden your heart and prepare for it.

I thought once they really went into true stasis the gut dies and doesn't work ... could it really just take this long to process. Today marks one week since I have seen any poo!

What is your opinion on fluids? Is what's in her food enough?

I'm glad I was able to encourage you! Having a sick chinnie is stressful! Its so hard to know what to do sometimes, and all we want is the best for them of course!

I would say go ahead and give her some fresh hay, perhaps that will renew some interest! Hay is their fiber source so its good she is at least nibbling at it a bit. Its definitely better than her not eating anything at all on her own. When my chin was sick, my vet told me to always keep hay/pellets in the cage to encourage eating. As far as fluids go, I ended up having to take my girl at three different times for fluids. Of course there is some fluids in the CC you mix up, but if you are concerned, ask your vet if you can bring her in for more sub-q fluids. Have you been monitoring her weight during her sickness? Or do you at least have an idea of what her normal weight is? I've heard it is helpful to weigh them often to track fluid loss. Also, there is the skin test. If you gently pinch her skin does it snap back into place immediately? If so, then she is likely NOT dehydrated. If the skin does not snap back and kind of "hangs" there, then she should probably have some sub-q because its a sign of dehydration. Keep an eye on her water bottle too. Keep it marked so you can see if there is any change in the water level. In addition, try to notice if she is passing urine and how much approx. Since you have a mat down, is the pee spots big or small, etc?

I would encourage you to go ahead and call your vet again tomorrow to update them. Maybe they would like to re-examine her? Since you have had a difficult time in getting her to eat the CC like she should, I'm kinda leaning toward you might wanna go ahead and let them give more sub-q since its been a few days since her last sub-q injection and I'm assuming she probably isnt drinking on her own. I would discuss it with your vet and let them make the final call of course.

I understand about your apprehension of her having energy. When my chin was sick, she had stasis, but also had some other very serious issues (hemorrhaging). It was so hard because it came out of nowhere. During her sickness, her energy levels were very low overall. In her last days, she looked so pitiful and I knew it wasn't looking good. I had time to prepare for the worst.
To me having energy, it just seems like a better sign. To know that your chin is ill, but having the energy to try and hide it at least. Things would seem worse if she was really lethargic and giving up, but it sounds like your chin is still fighting which is good. Just my opinion on that, I think you know what I mean? Maybe I just have an odd way of trying to see the positive side lol.

Last edited:
I will check her skin when I get her out for the next feeding. I didn't give extra fluids this last time. I know how to do subq fluids and I have the needles here as well, so I can do that if I have to.

I actually took out the pad this last time and gave her back some of her bedding. She tries to dig at the pad and I think she misses her shavings. I put her in and she starting digging and rubbing the sides of her face in it right away. MAYBE she will be like, Im supposed to pee and poo in this stuff! LOL! Wishful thinking! I didn't put much in so I should still be able to find wet spots and poo when I go looking through it. Trying to make her life a little more normal and maybe it will get rid of some of her stress.

I have to go buy a new syringe! She chewed this new one so bad that it is almost mushed together! Jeeze~

Ohhh and the weight. Actually weighed her for the first time today since this all started. I weighed her when she first injured her tail.... but due to the stress of it all I never once thought to weigh her as soon as they cut her tail off! So yeah, dont know what a new "normal" is for her as I don't have a clue what the tail weighs!
I will monitor from today's weight though, which is still 676, which is a great weight I think! She was 820 with the tail and I guessed that it probably weighed close to 100 grams. I know she's lost weight, but Ive dealt with sickly chins who got under 500! So for now I will take her weight.

676 sounds like a good strong weight to me! It seems like its harder when smaller chins get sick because they don't have much weight they can afford to lose in the first place. 676 sounds encouraging to me, it gives you some "wiggle room" so to speak. You've got to feel better knowing you know how to do sub-q fluids when needed, that's really helpful. Maybe just give her like half a dose of sub-q to start? Since you know how to do it, you can always do more later if needed. When my chin was sick, the three times I took her for sub-q was all in the same week if that helps you at all as far as timing goes. Thought that might help give you an idea of how often to do it?

She sounds just like one of my boys when it comes to the shavings! Every time I put new shavings in after a cage cleaning he rolls around in them! Its pretty funny to watch, I'm like "Houdini! Its not a dust bath!" lol

She sounds just like one of my boys when it comes to the shavings! Every time I put new shavings in after a cage cleaning he rolls around in them! Its pretty funny to watch, I'm like "Houdini! Its not a dust bath!" lol

She hasn't been allowed to have a dust bath in the last 2 months due to the wound and infections! I was going to ask this week if the vet thought I could let her have one. It's been a week since her final amputation now and it is healing really well!

Update on Skylar -

Took her back to the vet today and he said he thinks she is likely pooping VERY little and is eating it as it feels weird to her. He said that the critical care is great, but if I do not get more fiber into her, he is afraid her gut won't process anymore. He said she still is really gassy, so to continue what I am doing as she isn't bloated yet, so I am helping her some.

He suggested cutting her hay into 1inch pieces and mixing in some pumpkin to entice her to eat it. He said without some bulk, the poo has nothing to bind with.

Do you all have any other suggestions? She is still eating from a syringe, but shows no interest in her pellets and really seems like she just likes to tare up the hay!

Well it is good news that she is at least pooping a little bit! As far as the hay, does she happen to like the gas drops you are giving her? I know alot of chins seem to be fond of the flavor of gas drops (mine love it, its like candy to them!). I was thinking if this is the case for you, then maybe dip the tips of the hay in the gas drops? I know some folks will dip syringes in gas drops during hand feeding to help get a sick chin interested in eating. I don't see why the same principle couldn't apply in your case. You just wouldn't want to put too much of the drops on it of course because that would get messy! The second suggestion would be to try some hay cubes. Maybe she would be interested in them since they are a slightly different texture from regular loose timothy hay. These are the only suggestions I can think of off the top of my head, if I think of anything else I will certainly post it! Perhaps others can chime in on this!

Last edited:
Back