Skin Cancer (Basal Cell)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macygray

aka. Chinnie Kisses.
Ok - does anybody have any experience with Basal Cell Carcinoma cancer on the face? In line with the bottom of the earlobe, on the right side.

Has anyone had one removed? What was the method used and what was the healing time and result?

Thanks! Mae x

Mae, I believe that Mohs Surgery is the treatment of choice for cancers on the face.

Perhaps this link will give you a starting point for your search; it has a wealth of information and even discusses basal cell carcinomas on the face:

http://www.mohscollege.org/about/

Good luck and keep us posted...

Ok...thanks for that link..That is a good site as it shows how its 'done'. I have only had a quick look so far.

It's my Mum, not me and she is worried..which is normal. All the stuff they put online would make you worry sick! So after reading all those different things I wanted to see if anyone had experience with them.

I am going with her this week to see the doctor she saw the first time to discuss the method they are going to use...etc. Let's see....

My mom has basal cell carcinoma and had one squamous cell carcinoma. Every time she gets a tumor/carcinoma removed she calls it "getting chunked out", hehe. She's had two basal cell carcinomas on her face. One on her forehead has left a scar (I barely notice but you can see it easily when she points it out) because it came back and she had to get it removed twice, but the one on her cheek I don't see. She had a few more elsewhere and got her first one in the 90's. She said most of her tumors have been removed with Mohs, and some excised. She still has light scars from most of them but she has minimal pigment (blue eyes, blonde as a kid etc.) so scars show up on her skin distinctly. She said though it depends on where the tumor is, how big it is, how deep it goes and personal healing factors but on average, it takes a few weeks for all the redness, swelling and irritation to go away (for her). Then the scar fades in the remaining months. She doesn't remember how long it took for the ones on her face to heal, but I remember she had to wear bandages for a bit and the area swelled a bit as well. Most of her scars I never notice, they are pretty light.

My mom has never had any problems with it, has dealt with it for years and if you are going to get skin cancer, this one's a "good" one to get. Her sister, on the other hand, had melanoma and really suffered from it before it killed her, so really in perspective my mom feels she has nothing to complain about. And honestly, the cancer doesn't affect her much. She makes sure to get every carcinoma removed as soon as she can.

Thank you so much for the replies everyone!!

Ok this is how it went...just feel i have to update the thread. We went to appointment the day before to calm Mum's nerves a little bit because the first time she left without asking them, shock i imagine, the 'c' word isn't ever good.

I asked how they were going to do it, if they were going to use the better method..MOHS...And she said no, that the surgeon is a mohs surgeon but they don't use the mohs method the first time on this kind of tumor. She said..if in 2 wks time the results come back and the cancer is still there..then they will do it the mohs way. Completely different from what I was reading online beforehand.

She got it done..didnt feel a thing..4mm margin..about 4cm long the incision..but its still covered up so haven't seen it yet.

Thanks y'all! Now we just have another little op. to get over her..poor thing!

Mae, after it is healed, you should have her get her some La Mer cream. Several of my associates at work have had cancerous growths removed from their faces and used it and the scars have been rapidly diminished. I have used it myself and was astounded at the results!!!

It was created by Max Huber, a NASA scientist after he suffered some severe burns on his face. It is pretty expensive, but you can usually get a good sample at the cosmetic counter.

Here's a link about how it came to be:

http://www.zimbio.com/Ginn+sur+Mer+Classic+at+Tesoro/articles/55/Creme+De+La+Mer+Max+Huber

Here's a link to a Time Magazine article about it:

http://www.time.com/time/special/cosmeceuticals/mer.html

Good luck to your Mother!!!

Ok, all done, and she got the all clear which is excellent news!!!!

When we went to ask about how they were going to do it etc. they said they do not do it the MOHS way the first time. They just take a 4mm margin or so and the scar left is about 4cm long. Healing up nicely too.

I forwarded that to my mum, she got a few different creams and things.. I think that one is the most expensive ha! But I am sure it does the best job. Let see now!
Thanks everyone.x

Latest posts

Back