Size of litter boxes

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chin_lvr

I'm redoing a couple of cages and I have tried searching for the right size litter box (and end up with results about breeding and babies) so I thought I'd post the question.

What size litter box/pan is good for a chin? If you have 2 chins in a cage do you use two seperate litter box/pans? Thanks!

I have a 2-qt and 3-qt pyrex baking dish in my cage. The girls are still working on being litter box trained.

both my boys use metal mixing bowls for litter pans. Rhino's is a bit bigger at about 8 inches diameter, and Guss's is slightly smaller than that. once the boys are living in the same cage (we're still working on intros), i plan to have both litter bowls in there for the first while, and then will downsize to one if i see them both using the same one most of the time.

Thanks to you all! I had picked up some stainless steel dog water dishes thinking that would work, but I think they're too light, easy to knock over. I'll pick up some pyrex today!! Thanks again!

Litter?

I am gather info on this topic as well - what is the recommended litter medium for a litter box? And is placement basically the same as other small critters - a corner area? Who has had success with this, and can you elaborate on the process? Thanks!!

Kathy

basically in whatever corner they pee in the most thats where you should put the dish.
litter should either be kd pine bedding or aspen bedding. no carefresh.
i know quite a few people on here have had success with this.
i haven't yet since i don't have my fleece liners yet so i can't really do a litter box yet.

I use pampered chef medium square bowls and pine litter. Pamered chef sells these bowls in pairs for $22 plus shipping. The bowls themselves are 7 1/2" to 7 3/4" across and about 3" deep and heavy enough for the animal to perch on the edge without tipping it over. I wouldn't use anything smaller as the chin climbs in and the dish needs to be big enough to hold the whole body. They're easy to clean and can be washed in the dishwasher. I also found pressed glass dishes the same size and shape on eBay. They run a bit more expensive as they're vintage, but I caught two at reasonable prices. Lucky me. :)

My boys are still learning what a potty dish is for and still use the fleece liners pretty much everywhere so I'll use Chipper's habits as an example for how the dishes are used. Chipper came with one of these dishes and I replaced it because it was cracked. He was fairly faithful about using it but decided the cage was big enough that he didn't always want to go all the way to it to pee, so he picked the corner right under it to use on the floor that didn't have it. I then started using two dishes - one on each floor in the same corner. He never peed anywhere else. I know this because I had cardboard under the double layer of fleece and no odor anywhere other than the dishes.

My current boys pee everywhere. :hair: There are marks all over the layers under the fleece and I'm now using forum suggestions to remove the smell from the fleece itself. I hope my efforts to potty train them pay off. I miss the fussy habits of my potty trained chin.

So I sell Pampered Chef and never thought of using those....if anyone would like to order them you can go to my website at www.pamperedchef.biz/sarahvonholdt - I'd be happy to help you out!
What a great idea to use those bowls! I'm using pryex right now - and it's working most of the time...one of my boys is still working on it. He likes to pee on the hay that falls out of his hay box. :(

I use a round flat bottom pottery dish that I made and I keep if directly under their water bottle. That way they can drink then pee, it also catches any drips from the water bottle

Awesome, WranglerSarah. Thanks for the link! To solve your hay problem, put one of those bowls under your hay holder. Most of the hay will fall in the dish, and your boy will be using the dish when he pees on the hay. :)

I picked up a ceramic serving platter from Goodwill. It works pretty well, though we do get some bedding spillage every so often. She uses it and it's the only thing she doesn't chew :O

Eureka!

I ended up using a corner litter box that I already had, and securing it to the cage wall. This lessens the thump-and-bump noises of her entering and exiting it. She is using it exclusively as far as peeing, but still "pellets" all around the cage ... it's like she doesn't even know things are falling out of her?!?! Oh, well ... I am just glad she's peeing in it!!!

Kathy

Latest posts

Back