Sitting Like a Penguin or Just Sitting Still

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wotjr1232

Hello!
I am a new chinparent (for about 2 months now) and my chin is about 5 months old.

I think that we got close really quickly, and as I play with him 2 to 3 times per day, he popcorns and wall-surfs all the time. :thumbsup:

I also keep the AC running at temperature 72 and depending on how pink my chin's ears get, I turn it down to 70 or 68 occasionally.

Also, I made him a 4 story-tall cage and added a hammock, bed, wheel, slides, etc. while making sure that he doesn't trip over any of them (removing anything that seemed dangerous).

So... I've been paying a lot of attention to what my chin needs and likes.
And I have noticed something strange...

Two to three times per week, I work at my desk at home for about 6 to 8 hours per sitting and my desk is about 10 feet away from my chin's cage.

As I work, I check on him pretty frequently, and most of the times, he is sitting still on one of the wooden cages, staring at me with his peripheral vision.
Many times he does this, his eyes are half way open and he's dozing off.

Some other times, he is sitting like a penguin at a dark corner and sleeping, his ears are a little pinker than usual, and he is breathing a bit rapidly.

Is anyone else's chins acting like this?
Also, are these behaviors signs of discomfort?

Everything sounds perfectly normal to me. Chins often sleep standing up. Wait till the first time you see him sprawled out on his side. You will think he is dead.

My chin Carl likes to lay on his side right up against the cage with his nose and limbs hanging out when I'm doing homework or reading or napping in my room. Sometimes I let him out in his play pen to run around if he wants too. Your chinchilla might just feel comfortable sleeping or lounging with you there. It took awhile for Carl
To sleep when I was in the room but he does it all the time now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yuki likes sitting on a perch, but leaning over a gap to put his front paws on top of his fleece tunnel. Weird but adorable. Chins are silly.

Mojo sleeps in strange positions all the time - sometimes like a penguin, as you described it

penguin.jpg

play_dead.jpg

Everything sounds perfectly normal to me. Chins often sleep standing up. Wait till the first time you see him sprawled out on his side. You will think he is dead.

I freaked out when my 5 month old Sassy first did. i ran to her cage and nudged her to make sure she was ok. She then opened her eyes and gave me the I'm gonna kill you look :hilarious:.

Proud Mommy Of:
Chinchillas: Sassy,Sky,Batman,Pepper,Jekyll,Hyde
Degus: Lily,Rose
Hamsters: Nibbler,Who,Serenity

I thought Eli looked pretty cute sleeping on his side! :cute:
2qjyt53.jpg

OMG I wished I had read this some months ago! haha yes I thought mine was dead! He actually was making weird sounds so I got closer and freaked out when I saw him on his side with his eyes closed and making this sound like he was agonizing. I opened the cage, touched him and I got no response so I freaked out and grabbed him and just right there he woke up startled with a WTF face like, "what happens? why did you wake me up woman!?" :hilarious: poor thing was just sleeping, and he slept on that position for about a month, now he's back on sleeping while standing lol

They sometimes sleep with their eyes open too (prey animals) so don't freak out if you find him like that. Mine did the laying on the side dead thing to me as well. I'm glad lots of others have had the same moments ^_^

Latest posts

Back