Sinus infection; 10 days have passed; progress has seemed to level off.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

annx3ette

I took Smokey to the vet because her eyes was inflamed, she was sneezing, and had a runny nose; turned out she that she had a sinus infection (I guess this is a form of a upper respiratory infection?). This was on 4/18 (ten days ago).

She has been on Baytril, Ofloxacin, Meloxicam, and Flurbiprofen. She has also been totally abstaining from dust baths.

The vet said her eye should look about 50% better a week from the start of treatment. A few days later, she stopped sneezing, and her nose stopped running. However, the eye stopped improving after getting a little bit better (not as swollen/red, she is able to keep it open, and doesn't seem to scratch at it) - the progress has seemed to plateau.

Has anyone had any experience with sinus infections, URIs? Is there anyway I can help ensure a speedy recovery?

I'm worried about her. It also doesn't help that she's new to my home, and I've never had her when she wasn't sick - so I can't tell what is normal and abnormal behavior for her (other than that she has definitely adjusted since first arriving here).

Is she getting syringe fed Critical Care? Are you giving her probiotics to counteract the effect of the antibiotics on her gut?

Did the vet get a swab of the bacteria for culturing? That would ensure it is not resistant to the antibiotics.

Are you weighing her daily? Or at least every two days? Keeping a chart of her weight changes would definitely help too. How are her eating habits? Is she peeing and pooping well?

From what I've heard, it does take quite a while for chins to recover from URI's. Have you got a follow up appointment with your vet?

Is she getting syringe fed Critical Care?
No, the vet advised me to only so if she is not eating, and since she has been eating normally, I have not been syringe feeding her.

Are you giving her probiotics to counteract the effect of the antibiotics on her gut?
No, I was not advised to do so by the vet. Should I contact the vet about getting some?

Did the vet get a swab of the bacteria for culturing? That would ensure it is not resistant to the antibiotics.
No, the vet did not do that. At my recent follow up (this Fri), the vet said culturing right now wouldn't work because Smokey has been on antibiotics and nothing would grow... which doesn't make sense to me, because I'm thinking if something is resistant, then taking a swab while she is ON antibiotics is the best time to do it...

Are you weighing her daily? Or at least every two days? Keeping a chart of her weight changes would definitely help too. How are her eating habits? Is she peeing and pooping well?
She has consistently weighed ~500 grams. Her poos are a decent size and color, and she is eating and drinking normally.

Have you got a follow up appointment with your vet?
I went in for a follow up visit this past Friday, and the vet took her off of Baytril, and left her on everything else. I was instructed to follow this treatment for a week, and come back for another follow up. If she is not better, then she will be taken off all medicine for a week to then get swabs for cultures.

Back