Single chinchilla question (help ease my mind?)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuji9991

Mrs. Wiggle Whiskers is around 12 years old and has been a single chinchilla since we got her from a store where she was about 6 months old with her brother's and sisters.

She has always had a bedroom in my house where I leave the cage open and she is free to roam the room which has many chinchilla structures and is chinchilla proofed.

Always in the back of my mind I feel some guilt about her not having the company of another chinchilla. I visit her in her room 2-3 times a day and play with her and hold her and talk to her and I always fear getting another chinchilla that they wouldn't get along. My biggest fear is that she wouldn't get along with another chinchilla as she is very timid, but also now that she is older I wouldn't want her to feel a sense of being replaced. I don't think I am considering getting her a partner at all but should I feel bad that I never provided her the company of another chinchilla?

Chinchillas do perfectly fine as singles and many are much happier as a single than as a pair. My little urchin's been on his own since he was purchased by his first owners at least (approx 8-9 yrs) and he's perfectly happy. I don't get the sense that he's lonely or anything. I wouldnt feel bad about it if I were you. Chinchillas are not animals that are required to be kept in pairs. If they'll accept a cage mate, fine, but if they won't or if they are intentionally being kept as a single chin, that's fine too.

I agree, chins are fine on their own especially with your attention. My female is very timid. I brought a male into the room, completely separate, but when he runs around the chin safe room she goes on the attack. She is VERY territorial. She almost rams her bars when he gets near. Otherwise she's the sweetest girl. I always thought if I wanted more than one in a cage (same sex) I would buy both together when they were babies.

I had three female chins at one point, and dreamed of having them all together to keep each other company.
They had other ideas though: they all HATED each other!

In the end, all three had to remain singleton chins, and they all seemed perfectly contented to be alone, provided I gave them enough attention.

Shelly has been on her own since I got her 4 years ago. I tried to introduce her to Buttonwillow during playtime and Shelly was not a fan. Some chins do great on their own, some enjoy having a cage mate. Button and Artemis have been sharing a cage since I got them two year ago and they adore each other. If your chin is happy alone, then leave him alone. Plus, I've found that bonding with a single chin is much easier than bonding with a pair. ;)

I have had two chins over the years, both as singles. My first lived 13 years and I have had Idgie for 7 years now. Neither seemed to mind being alone. I felt bad at one point and got a stuffed "buddy" for Idgie. She sits on it at times when eating, but has never cuddled or played with it. Idgie is happy to play with me and have human company.

Back