Silver Surfer vs ChinSpin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kalani.anela

Hello!

I was wondering- do you prefer the ChinSpin, or the Silver Surfer wheel? Or should I get a Flying Saucer? Because the Silver Sufer is approximately 20$ cheaper, but 1" smaller. And the Flying Saucer is about 15$ more than the ChinSpin. Which is best, in your opinion? And which is worth the money?

I only have the flying saucer, but from what I've heard the silver surfer being a little smaller is a problem for larger chins. It's not only an inch less in diameter it's also just over 2 inches narrower (4" instead of 6.25").
I love my flying saucer, it's a more natural running position and the standard size is equivalent to about a 20-22 inch wheel, also it will likely outlast your chin as the only thing that might ever need fixing is the bearings, which are replaceable for a few dollars. However there can be a learning curve for the flying saucer, and not all chins catch on how to use them. I'd go with the chin spin or flying saucer, I chose the flying saucer mostly because that is the only one available in Canada.

I have a Chin Spin, I picked it because it doesn't take up as much floor space as the other platter type. The only noise that comes from it is when my fatty pounds his feet running really hard or my SuperPet cage squeaking at the joints.

I have the Silver Surfer, but I also have a smaller chinchilla (about 550g at 4ish years old). He seems to like it quite well and runs without arching his back. And the depth of it is only an issue if he gets spooked because he runs so fast that he flies off (and then jumps back on while it's going and over and over until I tell him to stop....)

Long story short, it works for my needs, but only because I have a smaller chin/

I only have the metal flying saucers. My boys love them.
I had a very loud wheel that was like a silver surfer, but not sure if it was a silver surfer. The saucers are quiet if supported and the bearing isn't going.

That's what I like about them, IF the bearing starts to get a little noisy it's can be replaced, which I have only had to do twice between 20 wheels over four years. Great craftsmanship. The other wheels can't be maintained if the bearing goes.

I have had some issues with my silver surfers; they became unaligned and loud after a time and had to be replaced. Next round of wheels will likely be a mix of Chin Spins and Saucers.

I have the Chin Spin. I chose it over the saucer because it takes up less space & chins seem to take to it sooner. :))

Latest posts

Back