SILENT running, and low cost wheel DIY

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voxleo

Comprehensive and excellent video on building a proper chin sized wheel without the noise of the lazy susan mechanism. As per my comments on the youtube page section, I used the same 3-4 gallon feed/oil pans instead of the salad bowl in the video, though my first attempt used a stainless steel x-large water bowl that was a bit deeper but only about 14 inches in diameter. It was stronger than the galvanized pan but the angle of the sides was more extreme, and since the feed pan doesn't need as much of an angle to mount it nearly vertical, the bottom doesn't need to be as thick.

I used the old bearings and wheels on my Roller blades that I had swapped out for an upgrade, but they are cheap to buy if you don't have any handy.

This worked so well that I made a couple of them, and put one on a wooden plank that can be a portable playtime one for out of the cage as well. Its freestanding, and the base is only as thick as a wooden ledge, so it can slide under furniture for added stability because they run SO hard on it, sometimes it can start to bounce or rock/chatter with the vibration,but its sturdy. I just put a couple planks together in a capital "L" sort of shape and lay it sideways, mounting the wheel on the short leg.

I am going to make another one too since I still have another pan and more wheel bearings! Then my boys can each have a wheel all of their own, and won't have to push each other off to share it with anyone. (Though it is kind of funny to watch them do that...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmbAApN0o6M

I don't know if anyone else would be concerned with this, but I would imagine that the uneven flooring would be... problematic. The bowl that you're using has a curve where they're running, so they would have one side of their body running with legs fully extended, and the other side the legs would be bent. It isn't a level surface to run/land on. I think it would be better with a different type of bowl/pan that has a more even surface.

I am not sure how to edit my post. I'm thinking it can only be edited within X amount of minutes maybe. This is more the shape I am referring to that would be a better running surface.

Edit: It appears I am correct, and that posts can only be edited within X number of minutes.

:)

Kool, I'll have to look around the local second hand stores and make one of these for my little chiller'.
If i make a 14" wheel that mounts to the side of her cage, it will actually take up less room than spending $20 at PetSmart on a freestanding premade wheel :) .

What pre made wheel? I've never seen a pets mart wheel safe for chins- they are either too small poorly made it made of unsafe plastic.

I don't have a model number for it but my local PetSmart has the smaller running wheels for hamsters and small critters, but they also have a large metal running wheel about 14" in diameter that's in a freestanding wire a-frame. I've already got a nice set of bearings and plenty of hardware on hand so I just need to come up with the rights type and size of dish.

I don't have a model number for it but my local PetSmart has the smaller running wheels for hamsters and small critters, but they also have a large metal running wheel about 14" in diameter that's in a freestanding wire a-frame. I've already got a nice set of bearings and plenty of hardware on hand so I just need to come up with the rights type and size of dish.

The wheels at pet stores are not safe for chins, I've never seen a 14" (which is the very minimum size that is ok for small chins) the biggest I've seen was 12" but the wire wheels are dangerous anyway. The spokes can cause broken tails, broken legs and toes, and if it's one that has the metal bar it can break it's neck and/or decapitate the chin (I'm not kidding I know someone personally that had that happen).

I would go with at least a 15" unless your chin is small, otherwise you are putting backwards pressure on the spine which will lead to back problems. Chins don't have the same kind of flexible spines like other rodents like hamsters do for example.

Yeah, it surprised me to see a running wheel that big in PetSmart as well. It is basically a big solid aluminum dog dish with a bolt in the center of it that it spins on a wire a-frame support with an open face similar to the one in the video. I"ll find a 15"-16" dish and mount it to the side of her cage. It will take up less room that way since I don't need a free standing frame for it.

Last edited:
Yeah, we have one on the cage wall as well as the freestanding version. I couldn't find a large enough diameter pan with straight sides to use but although our pan has slightly flared sides (3.5 gallon oil/utility/feed galvanized steel type) the slight tilt of the mounting plate enables us to make the running surface flat along the bottom edge where they run. Even so, it is nearly completely vertical and almost flush to the sides because the flare was a very minimal angle to begin with.

It's been at least a year now and it has held up under punishing use on a daily basis, and only gets noisy when they knock something against it that rubs on the wheel as they run, but that is easily remedied when I move whatever it was. Other than that, it is a solid design and works a treat, and wasn't difficult to build. The hardest part was getting the hole in the pan centered in the middle of the thing, really.

I'll snap a pic of the finished product once I charge up my phone some.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back