Sick Tribble...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sendra

Chin-zilla!
So Tribble started getting wonky feces, always very inconsistent in quantity and quality, along with her belly starting to bloat up. So I obviously took her to the doctor, and she was given subcutaneous fluids with b vitamins in it, and I have to give her 2.8 mg of metoclopramide every 8 hours, and 10-15 ML of critical care every 8 hours. I've been doing this for 2 days, and there really doesn't seem to be any improvement. I've called the vet and she says to just wait, but I'd like the opinion of some of the senior members on the board. How long do you think it will take, and what else should I do, if anything?

What food do you feed? And what treats?

Have her poos been soft or small and hard?

Have you given her any baby gas drops (simethicone) to help with any gas buildup?

Are you giving her any probiotics?

Are you doing tummy massages and giving the chin plenty of out of cage exercise? Have you given simethicone? The amount of CC is very low, chins need 60ml upward a day and when its bloat you break it up into lots of small feedings. Any pain meds given such a metecam?

She gets oxbow chinchilla deluxe and oxbow timothy hay. Her treats are rolled organic oats, rolled organic barley, occasional de-hulled sunflower seed, organic crushed rosehips, and the occasional almond or tiny bit of wasa high fiber cracker. [She has lots of choices of treats, but I don't give her them very often.] I give her tummy massages as well and she doesn't squeak or cry in pain thankfully, [Don't know if I'm doing them right? Do I need to push hard or just gentle rubs? Clockwise or counterclockwise?] and she does get out of cage exercise every night. She also only seems to poop well when she's having her exercise, but not well after she's back in her cage. And she doesn't have any meds for pain, but she doesn't seem uncomfortable, and the vet said it was just mild bloat. How much simethicone would I need to give her?

You can give her a dropper full of the simethicone now. Stop with all the treats for now, and no more nuts. Mild bloat can turn very quickly. Try to get pain meds, chins hide pain very well. Good luck.

You can give her a dropper full of the simethicone now. Stop with all the treats for now, and no more nuts. Mild bloat can turn very quickly. Try to get pain meds, chins hide pain very well. Good luck.

She hasn't had any treats since she started getting sick.

No nuts ever, very bad for the digestive tract and more than likely the cause of the upset. The more exercise the better, it keeps things moving. 1 full dropper now of simethicone and one full dropper every couple of hours until the symptoms pass. Massages are circular motions lightly from mid chest to anus, lift the hand and do it again and again, for as long as you and the chin can tolerate it but the average is around 10-15 min. The treats could have brought this on, the fermentation takes a bit of time to happen and bloat.

Last edited:
Some probiotics like acidophilus may also help. Her gut bacteria may be off-balance and the bad bacteria such as Clostridium may be overgrowing. Supplementing with a probiotic can help replenish the "good" bacteria necessary for digestion in hind-gut fermenters.

You can also add a warm compress before (&/or after) the massage if you like - Meanie posted about it on Sparky's thread (here). Put some rice into a sock & warm it in the microwave - the chins will often snuggle into it for comfort.

I'd also speak to the vet about some pain relief. There's no such thing as "mild" bloat IME - bloat is painful - any build up of gas hurts so I would highly recommend some form of pain relief until the gut is back to normal.

The other thing to make sure is that the chin is getting plenty of fluids - she may need some more subcut fluids (normal saline). I can't stress enough how important fluids are - if the gut slows down then fluid is drawn from the gut contents, leading to dehydration of the fibrous matter which can (putting it crudely) turn into a brick.

What brand of simethicone baby drops should I pick up? And also, what kind of probiotics? Should the probiotics be something I could put in her water?

Mylicon baby gas drops is the name brand one here in the US. As for probiotics, look for acidophilus in the highest billion count possible. Just pop open a capsule and you can sprinkle it over her food or mix it with the handfeeding mixture. CC does have probiotics in it, but IMO, some may not be viable depending on how the CC was stored before use or how old the CC is.

Mylicon baby gas drops is the name brand one here in the US.

You could also get the generic kind, which is usually stocked right next to the mylicon for quite a bit cheaper.

Okay, for the water, should I take her in for more subcutaneous fluids, or just give her drop by drop in a syringe by mouth?

How much is she pooping? If she is not pooping much then I would get her some more subcut fluids.

ETA: Plus I would go anyway for pain meds.

Last edited:
Went out and bought the simethicone [This brand http://www.amazon.com/Little-Tummys-Newborns-Infants-Children/dp/B00005BT2D , is that okay?] and acidophilus tablets, along with some more syringes. I'll call up the vet on the pain killers.
And she seems to be pooping on average 40-60 poops a day, [Usually 130+ easily when she's healthy] many of those from when she's exercising. They also look much better when she's exercising as well.

Back