Sick Chinchilla! Need help ASAP

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awinkler

This morning I noticed my female chinchilla walking with a hunched back. I went to check it out and noticed she'd been having very runny diarrhea. She hasn't had any more since I noticed a few hours ago, but she has only been moving slightly. I gave her hay and burnt toast. I've seen her eat some hay and drink some water, but I can't get her to eat the toast even though she normally loves it. I'm unemployed and my guardian says she won't pay for it. I've begged her but she says she doesn't have the money. I've caller around seeing if anyone does payment plans but everywhere has refused. I'm worried for her and any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

It sounds like the chin needs to see a vet, no one here can really help, other then to tell you to go to the vet. Is there any other family or friends you can borrow money from? Also have you tried applying for the a vet credit card? They are like a credit card but for vet care only, you can apply and get approved on the spot if you qualify.

The most I can do is give you what I think is wrong. Walking with a hunched back and reluctance to move would to me indicate abdominal pain, and the diarrhea could be a sign of an impaction or infection (viral or bacterial) or a parasite. An impaction will need surgery, and an infection or parasite will need medication. But I'm not a vet.

This is exactly why I advise people to have money, at least a couple hundred (but ideally a couple thousand), set aside for emergencies. I realize this doesn't help you now, but for future reference, even if you just open a savings account or get a credit card.

This morning I noticed my female chinchilla walking with a hunched back. I went to check it out and noticed she'd been having very runny diarrhea. She hasn't had any more since I noticed a few hours ago, but she has only been moving slightly. I gave her hay and burnt toast. I've seen her eat some hay and drink some water, but I can't get her to eat the toast even though she normally loves it. I'm unemployed and my guardian says she won't pay for it. I've begged her but she says she doesn't have the money. I've caller around seeing if anyone does payment plans but everywhere has refused. I'm worried for her and any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

Try applying for the vet card, CareCredit, you can do it online and get an immediate answer. Plus you can use the credit card that same day. I did.

I understand when money is really tight and medical bills can get costly but you have a responsibility to any pet you have. Once you own a pet you are responsible for care and upkeep, meeting all the pets needs. If you cannot do that then you need to do the mature thing and surrender your pet to someone who can. I know it's painful to part with a pet you really love, I've had to do it before and it hurts. But showing real love means you do what is best for your pet, not what is best for you.

I hope things work out.

Latest posts

Back