Sick chinchilla advice needed

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chin124

I was hoping someone could help me I have a chinchilla that is sick with giardia I brought her to the vets and she put her on falgyl is there anything else I can do she's not eating well and not drinking much her stools are getting better.

If she is not eating or drinking you will need to feed her. Ask your vet if they have critical care, its a powder food replacement you mix with water and syringe feed. Also let the vet know the chin is not eating, they may prescribe a drug to keep the digestive tract moving. Chins who do not eat can die very fast, their digestive tracts shut down without food and the digestive tract dies, its called stasis so keeping a sick chin fed is the most important part of recovery.

Flagyl can be very upsetting to a human's stomach, so I can only imagine how much it upsets a chins digestive tract. In addition to what Dawn recommended, I would also get her started on some very high billion count acidophilus to try and get her tummy back to normal.

Flagyl can be very upsetting to a human's stomach, so I can only imagine how much it upsets a chins digestive tract. In addition to what Dawn recommended, I would also get her started on some very high billion count acidophilus to try and get her tummy back to normal.

Is it okay to give acidophilus as a preventive and where can you buy the good stuff? I have a chin with GI issues right now, was wondering if it would hurt her to mix in some acidophilus with her critical care? Also how much would you give? Thanks.

Latest posts

Back