Sick chin

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siylvat

Sorry this is a little long. I want to include a little background.

Some of you may remember I had a few posts about my chinchilla Bok. He had been suspected of having teeth problems, because he was drooling and not eating his hay as much. We got him x-rays, which some of you on here said looked very suspicious of teeth problems. Our vet did not seem to think it was anything dealing with teeth, but I do not really trust him for things other than simple health issues. I have however had another vet, with chin experience look at the x-rays, and she agrees with the first vet that it does not appear to be teeth problems. My fiance and I are still uneasy as we are just not sure.

Our first vet perscribed an anti-inflamitory of some sort, as he said it appeared to be an infection in his mouth, he thought maybe he poked it or something. So we gave it to him for a few weeks, and things seemed to clear up. He has not drooled since.

Now, a few weeks ago, I noticed a lump on his side. It was about the size of a pea, raised, the fur had been scratched off around it, so obviously it was bothering him. We again took him to the vet. The vet said it looked like he injured himself on something. He gave us a salve of sorts to put on it. In about a week, it was gone and new fur was growing in.

Last week. I found another of these bumps. I found a piece of a shelf in the cage that might have hurt him, but I had removed it after the first vet visit, and can find nothing else in the cage that I think could hurt him.

Now. Just today, I took him out and his stomach fur is all messed up, and it seems almost a little damp. The fur all around his mouth is completely dry, and doesn't look matted down like when he was drooling before. I have no idea where the dampness could be coming from, I thougt maybe the second bump had broke, but I can't find anything that looks like that.

We are just so unsure of what to do. I don't fully trust my vet, but I have not been able to find a really knowledgable chin vet. Could this all be anything related to any teeth problems? What do you think it sounds like?

Also, anyone have any really good chin vets in New York state that they could recommend to me? Preferable upstate NY. We really want to take him somewhere that knows what they are talking about. I asked around the vets in the area and they have not been able to give me very good recommendations. I have also called all over, and I can not find anyone with more than a passing knowledge of chins.

Agan, sorry it is so long. It is just so frustrating.

I forgot to add: 1. he has no cagemates 2. I have been weighing him, and his weight is steady. He is still very active, and otherwise normal.

Is it possible that his water bottle has dripped on his stomach or he has leaned on it?

Maybe, but it has happened a few times over the last week or so. It doesn't smell like it did when he was drooling, that was a strong smell, but it does have a distinct faint odour to it.

Back