Sick chin needs food and liquid

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmandaDi

You Have No Idea!
You can read my threads in the health section to get caught up.

Skylar had to have her tail amputated due to an infection from a wound. She is healing nicely, but after being on two antibiotics, she quit eating and hasn't pooped in days. Took her to the vet yesterday and he said she isn't constipated or dehydrated.

I have been giving her a little spoon of her favorite probiotic paste mixed with her food in powder form. Today I started baby rice cereal. Critical care is on the way.

Every day I switch her water bottle and alternate plain water and then water with a few drops of cran juice to give it flavor.

Any ideas on what else I can feed her or give her to drink to help move things along?

Sorry you are having so much problems. When I had a chin's leg and a different chin's tail amputated I had no problems. All I gave them was metacam.

I'd crush up her pellets in warm water & syringe that - she also needs gut stimulants if she hasn't been producing droppings.
Poor girly is really going through the mill., bless her. :(

Snickers,
She had an injury that I tried to heal for almost two months. It ended up getting infected and they amputated half the tail.
4 days after the first amputation they had to go in and take the whole tail because the infection had spread. So yeah, I had to give antibiotics.

Stress has also caused her to start licking a spot near her privates raw so I am putting neosporin on that as well.

She's just a hot mess.

Claire, is there a reason why you suggest warm water?

Amanda, I could be wrong about the warm water when it comes to chinnies, but with dogs they advice warm water since it softens the food faster and also brings out the aromas of the food. It can help make the food seem more appetizing.

Thanks Cinder - I have been keeping stuff in the fridge, so I was just curious!

I read that peppermint tea is a natural gut stimulant that rabbits take - any advice on this for Chins??

I've heard people adding unflavored and unsweetened canned pumpkin to the critical care and/or ground pellets to add fiber. I'm sure it adds its own flavor as well to make it interesting to them. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back