Sick Chin any help appreciated!!!!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avery155

So our chin dusty isn't doing well. He is about 7 years old and we have had him since he was a baby.
Yesterday we found his left eye swollen and "glued shut" from discharge.
He is also having a hard time breathing accompanied with nasal discharge and wheezing.

My wife and I took him to an emergency vet as soon as we got home last night. The vet said, there is gurgling in his lungs, as well as in his lower lungs. She does not specialize in exotics and go figure they did not have any baytril. She said his heart sounds good, we were concerned since his brother died overnight from what we guess was heart failure last January. (Acting normal the night before no changes in behavior, but passed away throughout the night.)

His front teeth are ok as well, but she couldn't see his back teeth obviously.

She sent us home with Sulfamethoazle and Trimethoprim. And a prescription of Oflocacin eye drops for his eye. This morning his eye was glued shut again.
He did not eat or drink last night. We are giving him critical care today.

We just gave him his prescription, and now he is perking up, it may be just because his eye is open again.
As i type this he is trying to itch his eye on his cage and just took a bite of food, and now is investigating the fresh hay we gave him. he always seems to perk up a bit after his oral prescription.

If we don't see an improvement with his discharge we are getting some baytril from our vet on Saturday.

What else can we do, what to look for, what are we missing. ??????

I would look for an exotic vet, one that can really know what theyre doing with the little guy.

This chin is only 7, thats middle aged, so I would definitely look for someone who specializes in exotics. It sounds like the stuff your vet gave you is maybe working a little bit though, I would say give it a few days, and if there is no improvement THEN take him to an exotic vet.
I am not a medical professional so I cant help you much. Hopefully others can chime in

Also, if what he is taking (ive never heard of them) are antibiotics, I would ask your vet about a probiotic that you can give him. Antibiotics kill bad bacteria but also the good. So they can do a lot of damage to the gut if there isnt something to help counteract killing the good stuff.

Do your research on his symptoms and see if you can find anything as well.

Back