Show off your Degu Cage

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I no longer have degus, but when I did, here was the cage I had them in:

cage-1.jpg

The rat manor, yes. The purple superpet, no. The bars would be too big on the superpet. I personally wouldn't keep in the wire shelves, or maybe cover them with fleece, as there's always a chance of toes getting stuck (regarding the rat cage).

I got just about all of mine online on various bird supply sites. I don't know what they all were now, but I think I ordered from drsfosterandsmith as one place anyway...

For example, that big perch that stretches across the cage is a manzanita perch... link http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=8444 I think it was the 30" one which fit my cage... (and I thought that was a reasonable price for it)

My degu have been in a super pet cage for 5 years. They have never even attempted to squeeze through the bars. I'm pretty sure they are run of the mill destructo monsters, but they have always been fine in their super pet cage.

Interesting... I once put mine in a superpet I got in with a rescue chin and they walked right through the bars and climbed down the outside of the cage. Little devils, haha. I suppose it depends on the degu...

So we got that large cage with the smaller bar spacing, and mine learned how to unlatch the doors (which required several steps), so we had to lock the doors..... they're smart little critters

I agree they are amazing. I'm gonna push for a set up...similar.

Daddy is gonna build them a homemade cage instead of me buying them a wire one. He's gonna make it so I can add enough shaving so they can tunnel and such ;)

I'm super excited for this cage

I'm redoing my goo cages. I built one for my girls back in 2008, but I was never fully finished, and I'm not sure it will ever be, so I'm looking into buying the same one my boys have for them. Someone was selling one on CraigsList just a few days ago, but someone contacted them just before I did. ): Bummer.
I'm going to be leaving for an internship at the end of October, and I won't be back until next year, so I probably won't be able to get their cages to how I want them before I leave. But I'll see if I can get some picture of what there is now.

To Bethany, I see you have fleece on the bottom. Do your goos try to tear it up? Mine are extra monstery, and they always tear up their hammocks, so I'm afraid if I use fleece instead of bedding, I'm going to have to be replacing it every other week.

I have 11 goos. 7 girls, 4 boys. The boys manage to damage more things than all the girls combined. Love 'em all to bits, though. <3

My dad has decided that he is building my degus girls a new cage and some shelves. My grandfather has fruit trees (that are safe, no sprays or anything) that he is gonna cut me some branches and bring to me so I can prepare them and put in the cage for them =)

I'm pretty excited. I'll get pictures as soon as its done

It is actually a large hammock and they get under it. I have put in a fleece liner and they chewed the seams to burrow in it and hide. I'm going to make them a liner that has a pocket for them to go in and hide and see if they chew on that. The one that chews it is always packing stuff into a box and up in the hammock. I think she is making a nest/burrow is why she chewed the liner. None of them (out of 4) bother the hammock at the top and it has been there for 2 years.

To Bethany, I see you have fleece on the bottom. Do your goos try to tear it up?

Back