Show me your chin's cage!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teddykay

I am always so curious about what kind of cages other people have and how they set up and organize all the goodies that go inside. I am also soon hoping to upgrade my chin's home with an all new cage and accessories. Please reply with pics and what kind of cage it is!

These are old photos, I haven't gotten around to taking new ones yet. Both cages are freshly stocked with sticks and hanging toys. They look a little bare in these pictures but I switch them out. I've also made some new types of hanging toys that are now in there. I want to hang some from the ledges but I haven't gotten around to it yet. XD
Both my cages are the same kind(Critter Nation 162).
beancages.jpg

First up is Chillys cage. He dislikes anything that hangs loosely like a hammock or a fleece house. The hammock that is in there is only in there for looks... He won't even touch it Lol. He likes hanging out on ledges and sleeping in his tube. He also doesn't like hiding away in wooden houses or anything like that... He prefers to hang out on top of them. There is a ledge on the door that didn't make it in the photo, as well as a ledge in the top right corner that you can't really see because a toy is in the way. I really want to get a bridge for him in the future. :D

momos_cage.jpg

Next is Momos cage. He is the complete opposite of Chilly... He loves hammocks and his fleece house, and he loves wooden houses. He's not a big chewer so he doesn't go through his toys as quickly. Like Chilly, he loves his tube but I often find him sleeping in a variety of places. Neither of them ever really bother with their tiles. I use pine shavings for Momo since he will bite at carefresh. Chilly ignores it so I use it with him.

Blizzard and Belle's set up!

Just took these pics today, right after cleaning out the cage. The girls are 4 months old. They live in a Ferret Nation 182.

Top level: They don't spend much time up here, but they do come up to chew on their toys sometimes and sit on the marble.

Bottom level: They sleep down here, usually in the tunnel and under the "rainbow fiddle sticks" thing :)

Last edited:
I thought I'd share, since I just cleaned it lol :D

Ferret Nation Model 182

x22naf.jpg

Bottom
27yxro7.jpg

I love seeing everyone's setups!

Got the idea from LYChinchillas. Liked their cage a lot so tried to make one ourselves.

It has changed a bit since last picture taken, but looked like this. I have added 2 more hammocks now and chewing toy.

I actually just rearranged Dessy's cage tonight. It's still not very pretty, but it's slowly coming together.

I still need to get her floor tiles re-cut so they fit flush, and the dust house was just in for the moment. And yes, the litter pan is plastic. Luckily she's shown no interest in chewing it after her first "what's this" nibble. In addition, the outlet is well out of her reach. :)
0qmHZSm.jpg

Dessy doesn't get as much play time as I'd like, but as you can see she doesn't exactly lack for space. :)
tfPstH6.jpg

Hopefully once I get said tiles to fit better I can get that yucky buildup in the back. My one complaint about this monster cage is the lack of a removable bottom. Also, POOPS EVERYWHERE!
uUPGks2.jpg

OllieBear's Pad!

Its a constant work in progress but the cage is a feisty ferret. The shelving I did myself (his previous owner had it full of plastic) I appreciate constructive criticism.

Attachments

• IMG_0266.jpg
    IMG_0266.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0264.jpg
    IMG_0264.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0265.jpg
    IMG_0265.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 47
Until I can upgrade Hammond to a taller cage - and his chin spin is on the way!
I do see much better hay bin options from the other posts!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 53
Side note, Bass Equipment will make metal pans that will fit the Feisty Ferret cages if you give them a call. I own a few myself and love having metal pans and not having to keep the chins on the wire bottom.

Cronus's new cage

I just ordered this awesome new cage for my baby boy, it's a work in progress and so far I've added a shoebox house, a bathtub for Timothy hay, and an assortment of toilet paper tubes and apple wood sticks. Cro absolutely loves it but now I have trouble getting him out.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 34
Jasmine, I would lose the wire ramps as they really don't need them and they are a safety hazard.

Got the idea from LYChinchillas. Liked their cage a lot so tried to make one ourselves.

It has changed a bit since last picture taken, but looked like this. I have added 2 more hammocks now and chewing toy.

i dont no if this was one of the changes you mentioned, but you probably want to get rid of that type of wheel.

my cages! each is half of a FN or CN cage and houses 1 chin. constructive criticism is welcome.

Attachments

• ZoeyCage.jpg
    ZoeyCage.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 44
  • LilyCage.jpg
    LilyCage.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 36
  • BasilCage.jpg
    BasilCage.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 37
My new baby chins cage

Hey everyone!

I am brand new to this forum & I bring my baby chinchilla home a week from today. I can't wait!!

I wanted to see what you all think of my cage setup so far. I was instructed to section off her cage as she gets bigger & more secure about jumping around (she will only be about ten weeks old when I bring her home). I am open to constructive critism & ideas. I also plan to get more for the bottom of the cage, what do you recommend? I will also be getting a bed for the top corner when she can use it as well as a wheel after she is six months old.
Should I move the food dishes higher? If so where? I will be getting her food this week.

I look forward to postind more on the forum! 😊

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 40

nice, i like seeing diffent cages' set up:dance3:

Back