Should I Start Over?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beanacre0

In Plymouth around 7/8 months and Wiltshire the re
I've had my chinchilla Eddie for just under two weeks now. I take him out every night but he doesn't come back when he's out so it makes it difficult when he is out. He is quite happy to run around and does that whole wall hopping thing.
The thing is I cleaned out his cage for the first time and I know I freaked him out accidentally. Now when he's out he does less investigating of me. Before he used to run over to me and he has run down my back when he's been out. Now he's investigating me less and less.
Today has been my worst day with him though. Today I let him out in my room for the first time and he kept going under my desk to hide. He also gave a firm bite for the first time. He wouldn't stay in his cage when I cleaned him out, something he's starting to do more and more which makes it hard. He walks along my arm and tries to wander off. Also tonight he's been biting the door to his cage. I think he wants to come out again.
He doesn't like his chinchilla treats, so I'm going to have to get something else. What should I do? Should I start over with the whole getting to know him thing? He is very happy to climb on my arm and walk over me, but he always wants to get down. He doesn't have a wheel but he does have a seagrass tunnel, a hanging wooden wheel which he just eats and a dangling other toy with a bell at the end.
Also should I get a bigger cage? He's got two levels with a perch up the top where his tunnel is. I'm not sure it's got space for a wheel in there :/
I'm just not sure what to do. He was so good this past couple of weeks now I'm worried it's all going to go downhill. Mum said he's only a baby (he's four months) and he's just testing his boundries, what do you think? Tomorrow I'm going to buy something else for him to chew because I don't think he's happy with what he's got. He doesn't chew the hanging bell toy and instead only nibbles the wheel and his mineral chew.
I feel like such a terrible owner and I'm really worried that I will have to give him up to a more experienced owner :(

The best thing to do is take is slow. Try talking with him and putting some old fashion oats in your hand, let him climb on you to eat them. All chins do not just sit to be held, they want to explore and check things out while out of their cage. Try to get an area for play that he can't hide, like the bathroom with the toilet seat shut. If he is only 4 months his out of cage playtime should be limited and he shouldn't have a wheel til at least 6 months, they need to conserve their energy for growing. By then maybe you can save up for a chin spin, silver surfer or another wheel that he can't chew. Good luck.

Two weeks is a short amount of time. He is still getting used to you. Some chins come around very fast and others take their sweet time.

Personally, I have playtimes in my bathroom. It's easier to watch my girls, and I can keep them out of trouble. I sit on the floor and let the girls jump on and off of my shoulder during playtimes. It helps with our bonding. Of my three, only one will tolerate being held, and it is all on her terms.

The best advice I can give is to just give it time. Try sitting next to the cage while reading out loud. Sometimes that will help. Nothing beats time.

Everyone's giving you good advice. Also, chins are shy of new play areas, after they get used to it they run around more (well some like sleeping..). I like the bathroom for playtime too, its easy to clean up and the small space keeps them out of trouble.

Your mom is also right too, a four month old chin is a bratt. =P I wanted to add too that the items at a pet store don't usually have bark (sometimes if u look closely they will have bark color painted on!) And that's what chins like. Look for someone that sells organic applewood or chin toys on here, you get much more for your money and the chins actually like it. =P

If you get rid of an animal because it doesn't like you after 2 weeks, you're going to go through alot of them. See it from their eyes - if something umpteen times your size gave you a fright, you'd be cautious too!

Back