Should I move him back to the basement?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bianca

Hello! If you haven't already, read the cage location thread.
I moved him to my room last night.. And I realized the temperature in my room is much warmer than the basement. The thing is, once summer is over, my room will be much easier to keep cool.
Do you think I should move him back? Wait a week? Or just work on keeing the sun and warm air out of my room?What do u suggest?

I'm just stressing over this and not sure what to do. It took a lot of convincing for my parents to allow him in my room.. And I don't know I'd they'd let me bring him back up once the weather changes.

You need to get a thermometer/hygrometer to find out what the temp/humidity is, if you haven't already. Every chin's specific range of comfortable weather may be different but if your room is say 78F or something, even with low humidity, then it is probably too hot and you should move him back. But, if your room is ok (most say below 75F with 60-70F being ideal and humidity below 55%), then I wouldn't want to stress him out with another move and you seem like you would enjoy him being on your room, but if he is hot than there's really no option but to move him to keep him safe and comfortable.

I think someone (Crysta?) posted the signs of overheating on another thread you made (I think it was yours...my bad if I'm wrong) so just keep an eye out and keep those symptoms in mind. I know it may be hard, especially if you're like me and paranoid and think everything is a sign of some fatal illness. Just really observe him, know the signs, act accordingly and keep asking for help whenever you need it.

Unfortunately, as for the folks--I have problems with my own (even though I don't live with them currently but will when I graduate) so I can't really offer advice, but good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks . Yeah, I just felt his ears and they are cool so I think he's ok right now.

I don't know, he seems unhappy. It's 12:07am and he's completely quiet in his cage. I thought he'd be happier in here .. Because no one is ever in my basement except for laundry or if I go sit with him.. But yeah I'm not sure what to do at this point.

And yeah, I am the same way. I get paranoid over every little thing but the people on here tend to reassure me and they probably think I'm crazy lol

Thanks for your help. Your responses always make you seem very understanding :)

He may just be getting used to his new place. Chins are weird with change, they are very temperamental also, so they can react strongly to things. If you change something big that they will notice, like the room they're in, they will act differently most likely until they settle down. He may very well be a lot happier in your room, but he would need time to get used to it before he can enjoy all this new attention he's getting.

Chins are also crepuscular which means they are most awake at dawn and dusk, but in general they are more awake at night. Him being quiet now may just mean he's sleepy at the moment and will get energetic in a little bit, or it could mean he's laying low to take in the changes around him, or something else. Most likely, his behavior is at least partially due to one of the two mentioned.

I personally think it's far better to be worried and ask questions than to not. I can't tell you how many threads about poop and malocclusion (not related to eachother) I've made thinking my chin was dying, and someone always responded, which I was very grateful for.

That's very sweet of you to say. I try to be understanding because I've made mistakes too, like humans do, and probably will make more and I can relate to just having no idea what to do. If I didn't have this forum to answer some of my questions, I'd probably be in a nice, white, padded room right now haha.

Hahaah. Yeah me too. Or I would be begging my vet for their cell number and I'd be texting them everytime my chin worries me lol.

But ok thank you. I gues I will just sleep and not think about it, since he has everything he needs right now- water, food, hay, decent temperature.

:) thanks again!

You really can't judge the temperature in your room well enough by how you feel. You really need to go get a thermometer and see what the actual temperature is. You can pick one up at the dollar store. Then you can have an idea if your room is too warm for him. I keep my chin room at 68 degrees.

I really suggest you get one today. You don't want your chin to get heat stroke.

Like I told you before you moved him into your room, get a thermometer. It may not feel warm to you but he's wearing a full sized fur coat. Just go to walmart and pick one up for $10. I think $10 and a trip to walmart is worth it to prevent a chin from getting heat stroke.

I've just looked over at some of your other many posts and it seems you are concerned he may be too warm where he is now. I really hope you get a thermometer. Then you can have piece of mind that the temp is fine and he's just adjusting to his new spot in your house.

Yes yes I am getting a thermometer tonight or tomorrow (I don't drive and am dependent on my parents to take me).
In the meantime.. I am making sure my room is a cooler temperature (I know I can't judge it without a thermometer but I am keeping the air in my room colder than comfortable for me.)

I felt his ears and keep checking on him.. He doesn't seem to show any symptoms of heat stroke.I think I am just paranoid..
Thank you.

Where are you located? I'm in Ontario, in the GTA. We have many other Canadians on here.

I don't drive either, so I bus it everywhere I go.

I am in the same place actually. I work today from 1230-9. I am planning on getting one after work.
My AC is on and I took away/turned off anything that generates heat. I'm trying to circulate the air.
I think he is ok bc his ears feel cold and are not red. Is this good? :/

His ears were never hot, no.
Yes I will get a thermometer when I can (hoping tonight) and let you all know.
I think the temp outside is going to cool down within the week I hope.. Meaning natural cool air and no more fighting with my parents about the Ac. I want to keep him in my room.. Because I think when he adjusts he will like being around me a lot. And I fear moving him back will make him stressed.
Ah. :( I hate worrying myself hahah

Yeah, I second what everyone says about the thermometer. I have been surprised so many times by what the temp actually is. The chin room has AC and kicks on to keep the temp down (they live in the basement and we still have AC hooked up). But for curiosity sake, we had the thermometer in my room (also in the basement-but there is a door in between my room and the chin room). I was amazed at how hot it got...in the basement even! I would be perfectly comfortable hanging out...look at the temp and it is almost 80!

I got a thermometer and the temp was 72. It wil probably go down to about 65 tonight. It's just the daytime that stresses me.

I keep my basement around 72 (my bedroom is also down here) and my chin has never had any issues. The central air kicks on at 73 but the basement is one degree cooler.

Before I got Lucifer the chins were fine at 70-72, Lu gets hot at 68 so now I have to keep the chins at 65-67, so all chins are different.

Latest posts

Back