Should I get two new chinchillas?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hyperblue8

So... I currently live at university, my chinchilla Michelangelo lives at home with my dad and brother.
My issue is that I feel like he is very lonely, my dad gives him attention and feeds him and I have a pet sitter come once a week to let him out of his cage but every time I come home he seems so, so lonely. I go to scratch him and he will be squeaking like crazy and nibbling my hand etc.
I'm wondering if its a good idea to try and get him a friend, or a couple of friends as he currently reside in a gigantic double cage that has a door in the middle to seperate them, so housing wont be a problem.. but do i need to be there for the first few weeks if they are separated? are they likely to reject each other? Is it a good idea to get two ( I have a friend who has had two babies born recently hence the "two" references) but then there's a greater chance that one will reject him..

Anyone help with my vast array of questions there?

First and foremost....talk to you Dad and Brother about your idea. They should have a say in whether they want to be responsible for any additional chins as they are the caretakers.

Your chins behavior may not be that he is lonley for a new friend but misses you. They have long term memory and may just be missing you.

I have taken on the responsibilty of the beautiful chin my son purchased and she is mine to care for as he has turned her over to me. I can honestly say that any additions before she became my pet would have been mine to make because I am the one that was caring for her.

Talk to your family about your thoughts of getting a new friend before you search any further into this choice because it sounds to me that you visit and they care for your chin.

First and foremost....talk to you Dad and Brother about your idea. They should have a say in whether they want to be responsible for any additional chins as they are the caretakers.

Your chins behavior may not be that he is lonley for a new friend but misses you. They have long term memory and may just be missing you.

I have taken on the responsibilty of the beautiful chin my son purchased and she is mine to care for as he has turned her over to me. I can honestly say that any additions before she became my pet would have been mine to make because I am the one that was caring for her.

Talk to your family about your thoughts of getting a new friend before you search any further into this choice because it sounds to me that you visit and they care for your chin.

It was, in fact, my dad's suggestion when I mentioned that he seemed lonely :) Indeed it is my dad who does the feeding and a pet sitter who comes to let him out to run and cleans out the cage. Next year I will probably be living at home so maybe i should just wait till then?

As a member who went from one chin to two that turned out to be non-compatible, I suggest you wait. I agree with Landrk11 that it sounds like your chin is missing you, not in need of a friend.

You might also want to keep in mind that they can be very territorial. Your chin might take the presence of a new chin as a threat to it's place in your life and want to try to eliminate that threat.

I love both my chins and wouldn't trade either one for the world, but it can be tough maintaining two separate cages at times. Especially when one catches the scent of the other and treats me like I'm that chin it needs to fight off. He doesn't mean to, but he scares me when he gets like that. He normally treats me like your chin is currently treating you; all vocal and lovey.

Enjoy the chatter and nibbles. Many members would love their chins to be like that with them.

Latest posts

Back