Should I get her a buddy?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brittneyk13

Daisy🌺
My chin Daisy is 10 months old and a few months ago her brother turbo died after a failed neuter surgery. I have noticed at night that Daisy will cry a lot and she seems very lonely. I bought her a chin buddy but she doesn't seem to like it that much. I really want to get her a friend (I know they could potentially not like each other and I'm willing to have 2 seperate cages if that's the case) but do not know if I should risk them not getting along or hurting each other. Also if I were to get another chin should I get one older or younger? Thanks everyone :)

Sounds like you already know the possible outcomes so that's a decision you're going to have to make on your own if you have the time, money, and resources for another.

In general younger chins are easier to introduce but I have found once they hit puberty they can decide they want to be the dominant one and cause problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm hoping for the best...just wanted to here about others introduction stories; the good and bad. Thank you for your replying Stacie :)

If you can handle enough chin personally; mentally, physically, financially, and have the space, then you can feel free to get another one. Your already aware that they might not get along. And that even if they do get along it could change one day, so you always need a second cage or a cage that can be split into two to keep them separate if need be. Its also a good idea if one ever has a medical issue that requires them to be separated for a bit.

Just remember about the quarantine period before putting them near each other. And be sure not to rush it (quarantine or intro).

If all thats good, then you should be ok to get another chin.

I ended up with 3 singleton female chins! My first girl, Rosey (who I still have) was keen to be friends, but the other two I tried introducing were both aggressive and attacked her.

So I had 3 separate cages in the end. I didn't mind though: it just meant play out times had to be done one after the other, therefore taking up much more of my time.

Well over the weekend I got a critter nation cage off craigslist for only $80!! And it's in great condition. I also was added to East Coast Chins waiting list so hopefully in a few months I will have another little girl! I will keep everyone updated :)

Good luck!

I have two boys and three girls now but I started with the boys - they got along really well until the first two girls came into the picture, then they began fighting for dominance. At that point, I had to separate them and they are no longer compatible.

The two girls were fine with both boys separately until recently, one lady was fed up with mating attempts and bit one of the boy's fingers right off (luckily it was between the two bones in his finger which made for a very easy heal and very pricey vet visit). So now, it's down to the two girls and the other male who have a clean history - I'm wary, naturally.

My newest girl I refuse to introduce to the others, as they all have adjacent cages with one another and I can tell they find her scent somewhat threatening. It's been a few months and I would rather not introduce them at all. She's a very happy chin on her own.

So, in my experience, introducing chins isn't always risky, but compatibility definitely is. You may run the risk of having four separate cages for five chinchillas (and it's 4 and not 5 cages only because the two girls are sisters and won't fight over a thing). For you, if you have the energy and time and capabilities to take care of another, so even if the introduction doesn't go well, you'll be okay with that and carry on with another chin in the family!

Latest posts

Back