Should I adopt her?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pandachan

Hello,
I currently have a 8mo female chin, named Baby Chin. She's a sweetie, playful, energetic, nice temperament. Honestly, I think she's happy by herself. But my husband and I do work full time, and though Baby Chin gets at least 2 hours a day of out of cage play time I wonder if she'd be happier with constant company from another chin.

I was on craigslist (you know where this is going) and I saw a younger chin (3mo) that needs to be re-homed. Here's the ad:
http://honolulu.craigslist.org/oah/pet/4364630480.html

I heard that there's a greater chance for acceptance if you introduce a new younger chin into the environment of an older chin. Please correct me if that's wrong.

Also, I realize adopting another chin means there's a chance they will never get along and might have to house them separately forever. I'm prepared for that. But, even with that aside, I'm concerned about her paw. I'm wondering if missing a paw is a sign of more health issues to come?

Thoughts, anyone?

Missing paws could be due to a birthing issue. It normally won't cause any problems as she grows. I have an older breeder who doesn't have any toes on her front feet (she was that way when Igot her). If you are prepared to have 2 cages then get her. Since your other chin is young too, intros should be easier.

I think what really matters more then age is temperament, some chins like others some don't. I know the easiest time to pair chins up is as weanlings, but your current one isn't that old herself, so it's not like you are trying to pair and old one with a young one.
I would make sure that the new one is in fact a female, the ad says "we think she's female", always best to do a look for yourself. Also from the pics it almost looks like she might be a tan (doesn't look like her belly is white), though that could just be due to the bad lighting.
As to the missing paw it's entirely possible that she lost it during birth, the mother could have pulled it off trying to pull her out or even chewed it off accidentally trying to clean up all the afterbirth.

Back