Shortened toe mess.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diamond Dreams

Erudite Chinchillas
One morning I woke to find that a chin had kicked out her tray and was loose in the room. While I was putting her back in I looked down and saw blood all over the cage of one of her first floor neighbors. I paniced thinking that something was seriously wrong, but when I looked at the white ebony mom (now with red patches) and her one month old baby girl they seemed fine. I pulled them both out looked them over and the only thing wrong was that the tip of one of the babys toes was missing (I presume bit off by the escapee). I've had chins lose toes before but never have I had blood everywhere from one, and that much blood from a baby really surprised me.

Is it common for toes to bleed like that?

Attachments

• IMG_1033e.jpg
    IMG_1033e.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1034e.jpg
    IMG_1034e.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1035e.jpg
    IMG_1035e.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 33
Yikes! That IS a lot of blood! I have had one chin lose a toe through a cage bar bite and it was very similar- his wheel was smeared all the way around with blood, shelves were covered.

When I finally realized what had happened and made sure no bone was exposed, I just dipped the affected paw in blu-kote and made sure to keep his cage extra clean until the toe healed.

Toes can bleed pretty good.

Wow, I am glad to hear they are both ok. That looks like alot of blood for one baby to lose. I hope the baby is well soon.

That looks terrible. I have had a chin lose a toe, too. It is similar to when we get a cut on our scalps. It bleeds like crazy. I would keep an eye on the little one to be safe and treat the toe with Blue coat.

wow, that must have been so scary to find!!! im glad she's doing good! :)

i came home one night and was feeding and noticed blood all over the cage i FREAKED out ,come to find out someone bit her toe off. i assume threw the other cage...but oh my gosh it was NOT HALF THAT BAD

Back