she's home!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how to pick up your chinchilla nicely

@Chris:
the way Kristy showed me is to scoop them from underneath (don't reach down at them, or they feel like prey), and to firmly (but not hard) hold the base of their tails. she even showed me how to HOLD her by the base of her tail if i need to, and Jonesy doesn't get upset or scared, just long-suffering and glad when she's free to hop back onto the safer ground of her shelf by her door. (i think the tail-base pick up is best saved for urgent situations, myself.) just don't be grabby--what i did was spent a few days gently petting her, nuzzling, etc., then started putting my hand on her side and back and giving her scritches to let her know i was going to pick her up. she's been REALLY good about it.
how is your little man?
did i already post this?

Last edited:
Thanks, Sheila! i'll tell Dad you said so--he's pretty proud of it.
he said that his only mistake was the oval shape-that it would have been an easy job to do it rectangular. Jonesy loves it, now that she's getting the hang of heights, and it saved us a LOT of money (which all gets spent on Jonesy these days anyway--so much for my monthly trips to the salon for a while...she's worth it, though).

Latest posts

Back