Shedding

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jruland

My 5 year old male chin, Chubbs, has been shedding more than usual lately. It is summer here, but it's consistently 69 F here in my house. Last night he was enjoying a pat, not at all distressed, and lost a fair chunk of fur. It didn't leave a bald spot so I feel it is more normal shedding than distress sloughing. I've read that brushing is bad and combing is not necessary and often very uncomfortable for the chin.

Is heavy shedding normal sometimes? Do you recommend combing or something else?

Probably Natural

My oldest (around five years old) sheds in small amounts consistently, and it's usually little strands that stick out above the rest of the fur that comes out easily when pulled. Whenever we have playtime, she enjoys when I gently use my fingers to pull any loose fur from her back. That's probably a good way to groom your chinchillas because as long as they like it, it's a good way to bond with your you pet. Maybe since its summer, they are just naturally getting rid of a good amount of fur to compensate for the change of seasons, but if they start to seem under the weather or lethargic, there might be something wrong with them, like a lack of vitamins.

Hope this helps!

It's actually called "priming" and they can do it several times a year. You can give them a couple dust baths in a row and sometimes that will loosen it up or you can gently pull it close to the skin. Don't yank from the end of the fur or that will hurt.

My oldest (around five years old) sheds in small amounts consistently, and it's usually little strands that stick out above the rest of the fur that comes out easily when pulled. Whenever we have playtime, she enjoys when I gently use my fingers to pull any loose fur from her back. That's probably a good way to groom your chinchillas because as long as they like it, it's a good way to bond with your you pet. Maybe since its summer, they are just naturally getting rid of a good amount of fur to compensate for the change of seasons, but if they start to seem under the weather or lethargic, there might be something wrong with them, like a lack of vitamins.

Hope this helps!

It's actually called "priming" and they can do it several times a year. You can give them a couple dust baths in a row and sometimes that will loosen it up or you can gently pull it close to the skin. Don't yank from the end of the fur or that will hurt.

Thank you both!

Back