Shedding problem (to me)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evelyn

I have had gizmo for a year and a month now. He probably has been shedding but not as much as now. I don't know if it's his season or what. But I suspect that I allegic of him. I sneeze a lot around him and have runny nose only when I'm home with him. What I don't understand is that why I never have this problem before. I thought of buying a comb to help with the shedding problem but they are so expensive and I don't know if I can use other comb rather than those for chinchilla. Anyone have any idea of how to deal with this? Is there any website on here sell combs for cheap? It doesn't have to be show quality I personally think he's already handsome without one lol but he's killing me :(

If you are allergic, combing him will not help. People with allergies are allergic to the animal dander (dead skin cells), not the hair itself. Maybe try an air purifier and some anti-allergy pills (Zyrtec or something)

Then again, it might not be Gizmo at all, it is spring time and many allergens are becoming more prevalent right now. People can develop allergies at any time, even if they never had them before.

it's not the hair that people are allergic to most of the time, it's the hay and dust, so combing him out isn't going to make much difference i think.

he could be 'priming', which is a loss of hair to make room for new hair to come in. is Gizmo's room a tad warmer than usual these days?

it's not the hair that people are allergic to most of the time, it's the hay and dust, so combing him out isn't going to make much difference i think.

he could be 'priming', which is a loss of hair to make room for new hair to come in. is Gizmo's room a tad warmer than usual these days?

We have just moved here for two months but his location is kinda is the same. I put him as far away from the window as I could and in the living room with us just like before. I also let the ac run automatically when the temperature go above 72. Is this what you were asking about?? Idk if it because where he now is so much closer to us so I just realize he shedding so much or he just going through some time.

I wanna get a comb for him anyway. When we turn on the fan his hair floatin everywhere and since he's right by our dinning table it's kinda disturbing. I saw combs for show quality chins are so expensive. Is there other choice I cn get? Can I get a normal combs just to get his shedded hair out?

Use a sticky lint roller. Combs are nice but the fur will still float away and make little rabid dust bunnies. They breed behind your furniture too.

The sticky lint rollers keep the fur attached to them. :))

Use a sticky lint roller. Combs are nice but the fur will still float away and make little rabid dust bunnies. They breed behind your furniture too.

The sticky lint rollers keep the fur attached to them. :))

That's a great idea! I got a little combs and it does get some out but it was so much that it float around still. Is it gonna be over soon though? Or he's gonna keep shedding

What do u mean by they breed behind my furniture??

I know I wasn't allergic to ours the first couple years, then whammo I'd go nuts anytime I went in their room (itchy watery eyes, sneezing so bad to the point I'd get sinus infections, and eventually it got to the point I couldn't breathe and would have an asthma attack).

1st thing I learned is that I was allergic to the pine bedding I was using, 2nd thing I learned was that I was allergic to the animals dander, thirdly was the farm fresh hay, and although they couldn't test for volcanic ash (chinchilla dust) after taking a sample to my allergist he felt that being it was similar enough to that of house dust that I was probably allergic to that too.

I couldn't take away my kids beloved pet being an animal lover myself so I experimented and found that carefresh natural (the white, not the brown) did make it easier to breathe...I've just switched to fleece and so far it seems okay too, and that for me at least the allergy meds (certizine, zyrtec, singulair) DO NOT work in regards to going crazy allergy-wise when I'm in their room.

In my experience I believe your best bet would be to try and find someone else in your household to maintain the cages in regards to when it comes to cage cleaning and dusting the chins. I know, easier said than done!

When I can sucker someone else into doing their cage I notice I'm usually fine until about day 3, and that the days there's more urine in the litter are the days that I'm quicker to run into breathing problems...so try to keep the urine in the cage down by placing a "potty" area that can be freshened up daily if need be.

~Good Luck with the allergies, and if you find something that seems to help that I didn't mention PLEASE let me know!

ps. Hay cubes seem to do better for me (allergy wise) than loose hay.

So I'd try simple over the counter allergy meds (certizine, zyrtec), fleece that can be washes every couple days, cube hay rather than farm fresh loose, a potty pan with litter that could easily be swapped out daily if need be, and making sure to try to create a small area where the chin can dust..one that will be easy to vac. afterwards.

I know I was considering making a shower board box with a circular opening so I could attach a pvc entrance tube...and hinging the top for easy "dumping" of the dust for when they're done. Simple, cheap, and dust contained as well as it possibly could be.

Allergy problems!!

Ive had my male for over 2years and recently brought home a rescue and I`m now at my wits end!! I recently came down with a huge Sinus allery attack that went into bronchitis later. Never had the problem before I brought the female into the house which she is shedding horribly and guess between that and breathing the hay and bluecloud dust I haven`t been this sick before, coughing sinus headache etc. I am now looking to place my girl in a good home as soon as possible because my health can`t take it plus my husband has also came down with the same symptoms. Love my pets but I`m older and just not worth all this. Anyone in the Sacramento Ca area that might be interested please get in touch. [email protected].:cry3:

readingchinlover, it sounds like a virus that is affecting both you and hubby, since he came down with exactly the same symptoms. i'd check in with a doctor to confirm.

I'm highly allergic to dust, so when I clean, I use surgical gloves and wear a bandanna over my face. The rest of the time, I use a prescription nose spray, Flonase. Works like a charm.

That's a great idea! I got a little combs and it does get some out but it was so much that it float around still. Is it gonna be over soon though? Or he's gonna keep shedding

What do u mean by they breed behind my furniture??

She ment the dust bunnies multiply behind The furniture!!!! :tease:

Back