She takes oral meds like she would a treat!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buddy

<--My little soldier!
My chin is back on a gut mobility drug, and probiotics because she has a tiny bit of bloat- not too serious though as she's still taking her syringe food and pooing and chewing things.
Anyway, point of the thread:
She's more than willing to take her meds. They're oraly given to her. Last time she faught so hard that I had to hold her down with 2 people, sometimes 3! Now she sits at the door of her cage and she has it without any fuss. It's as if she's actually excited for it!
I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Maybe she's realised it helps her? Or she's used to syringes as she gets syringe fed atm? or she knows she's going to have it no matter how hard she refuses so she just has it without the fuss?
Haha, it's amazing!
Hopefully, this course of treatment will finally be the end of whatever is stopping her from eating her own food. She chews on her pellets she just doesn't swallow them :(

Not just yet! Hopefully this will solve the problem. And hopefully the vet knows what he's doing. I thought it was strange to give her a gut mobility by just feeling her stomach and feeling a bit of bloat..
But oh well, he saved her life once, so all I can do is trust him :D

Could be the flavor of the meds if the vet/pharm put some in there. My chins got chicken flavored meds the first time they needed 'em (to say that vet didn't really know what they were doing is a minor understatement. Chicken flavor for vegetarian animals DOH!:duh:) and they didn't care for it much, lots of forcing. Then the second time we needed some, we asked for a fruit flavor like pineapple. The pharmacy said they had pina colada flavor! My Dexter gobbled that up like a treat. So anyone who needs to get meds for the chinnies, ask for pina colada if they have it! LOL.

Chins who have been hand fed for a long time become VERY tame and can be your best buddy. I had one who would lay on his back unrestrained and eat from the syringe and enjoyed his body massage after.

Back