Sewing Fleece Liners by hand

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lily&Lucy

Hey everyone,

I have been toying with the idea of fleece liners because I really like they way they look and it seems like it would be easier to pick up the loose hay that my chinnies love to throw around their cage. I have to try them out because previously my chinchillas tend to chew on fleece so I had taken it out. It is was generally just fleece that had something in it like a cardboard tube because they just really wanted to get to that tube. Anyway I want to test them and see if they are going to try and chew them as well. I found the thread about how to make them yourself and it doesn't look too bad but I was curious if anyone has done them by had as I do not own a sewing machine. Is it worth the effort or should I just try and buy them from someone?

I made several sets by hand before getting my sewing machine. Honestly it took forever, was a pita, and because I'm no seamstress, the finished product isn't that great, and some pieces are pulling apart. (about 7 months old).

If I had it to do over again I would have gotten the machine sooner or just bought from someone else..

Hey everyone,

I have to try them out because previously my chinchillas tend to chew on fleece so I had taken it out. It is was generally just fleece that had something in it like a cardboard tube because they just really wanted to get to that tube. Anyway I want to test them and see if they are going to try and chew them as well.

Before you spend all the time sewing (hand sewing takes forever) just buy some fleece and lay it down un-sewn. That way if they chew you won't have wasted all that time stitching it up. Good luck :)

Before you spend all the time sewing (hand sewing takes forever) just buy some fleece and lay it down un-sewn. That way if they chew you won't have wasted all that time stitching it up. Good luck :)

very much agree!

Rhino only has one 'official' liner, got it in a fleece set from Annie here on the forum. her fleece items are awesome! So if you don't feel like going to the trouble of sewing yourself, definitely consider buying from her.

due to only having one liner, i obviously need something in the cage when that liner is in the wash. so i got some fleece and just cut it to fit the cage bottom, and have it in a double layer. works just as good as the actual liner.

I just recently made a few for Chinchy and I'll be making a few for Chalupa by hand. For a cage that's about 28 by 24ish, it takes me a couple hours to do by hand. They turned out great and he surprisingly hasn't messed with them or tried to crawl under them. I also made him a smaller liner to cover a wire portion on the upper level of his cage, and have made a couple hammocks, a bed and cuddle buddy by hand. It's rewarding to me and a lot cheaper than buying liners. Some people sell liners for 17 dollars, I got enough fleece to sew three and have plenty left over for other projects for the same price, so it's worth the time and effort to me.

Also, if you do end up sewing them, or even buying them, it'd probably be a good idea to wash and dry them on the delicate cycle, then they would last longer and probably wouldn't unravel in the wash.

Latest posts

Back