Severe New Chin Owner Anxiety -- did or do you suffer from this?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FL415

I'm THAT person on the forum...the new annoyingly neurotic chinchilla owner who thinks every change is an emergency that needs to be answered by the wise of the forum ASAP. I've already posted a dozen questions and concerns about my new baby chinchilla, and honestly that is the very tip of the iceberg in terms of things I worry about.

Every time his poo isn't totally normal--last night they were frequent and soft and I got nervous, so I gave him shreddies and took away his pellets; this morning they were few and small and he hadn't pooed for the couple of hours I was watching him, so now I'm freaking out yet again.

Anytime he sits in one corner or spot and stays still for a while, I worry he's exhibiting lethargy as an illness sign.

And last night, he escaped as I was changing out his hay and ran under my bed. I haven't had a chance to clean/disinfect under there, and my other chins sick with URIs and potentially giardia spent some time down there during play time. Of course I am now incredibly paranoid that he's somehow infected by whatever latent germs are down there from over a month ago.

The anxiety that I exposed him to chin illness literally kept me up last night; I could barely sleep! My stomach is in knots. I analyze every dropping I see, stressing over inconsistency in size or texture or frequency. The degree of euphoria I feel when I see "perfect poops" is really indicative of insanity.

I know this is SO, SO unhealthy and I need to CALM down for his good and mine (any my poor boyfriend), but I don't know how to! Did anyone else suffer this when they first got their chin? I think it will definitely ease up after a couple of weeks of him staying healthy, but I'm killing myself with worry!

Definitely calm down, take a few deep breaths. Your stress may be stressing out your new little guy. He just got uprooted and moved off to a new home, he needs some time to settle in. He really shouldn't be getting any treats like shreddies or oats. Just give him hay and pellets and reverse osmosis water. Try to just leave him alone for a couple days to give him time to settle in and get used to his cage and everything around it. Chinchillas are not unhealthy animals, most never see a vet. It seems like the pet store ones that you got were sick when they came to you and that's not normal. You should take all this energy you're using to worry to instead call the manager of the pet store, or write an email to the pet store to let them know what happened to the other chins so that you can try to prevent the next chin they get from the same fate.

I was the same way in the beginning, and I'm pretty sure I drove people insane with my questions - but we all start somewhere. Just take a deep breath and trust that you'll do fine.

Of course, I think it's better to be an overly worried chin parent than one who doesn't pay attention to anything. Don't ever be afraid to ask a question because you think you ask too many.

I was paranoid over what I considered excessive scratching. She seemed to scratch a lot when she came to our home. I was certain something was wrong, but it lasted a little while and eventually went away. I also was worried over her stained bottom, did it indicate a bladder infection?? No it didn't...she was just being lazy sitting in her pee, and she stopped that too as she got older.

I understand.

I was the same way in the beginning, and I'm pretty sure I drove people insane with my questions - but we all start somewhere. Just take a deep breath and trust that you'll do fine.

Of course, I think it's better to be an overly worried chin parent than one who doesn't pay attention to anything. Don't ever be afraid to ask a question because you think you ask too many.

Thanks for the kind reassurance :) I really hope this dissipates once he grows a little older. And I don't think my shame will prevent me from asking more questions, unfortunately for CnH...sorry y'all! This is just by far the best place to ask for advice and get information on chinnies.

:deadhorse:

A teacher once told me the only stupid question is the one unasked.

That's a great quote. I only ask questions when I really care about something. Clearly I'm obsessed with little Winston. I've had a lot of pets in my life, but something about chinchillas just steals my heart!

:heart3:

Ive become the same way with my male gus chinchilla, I have had many different pets in my life but I have never loved them like I love my little gus and I cant explain it but i just do, I worry about him whem Im at work, and I always feel bad when I have to leave him in the morning to go to work I actctually distract him so he doesnt see me leave the room, and this is the kicker,sometimes if I think of him getting hurt a or even dying that I have to fight back my eyes from tearing up I know this is bad but I cant help it

I'm the same way. I've been lucky with my chinchillas, even though I started out as a totally uneducated teenager, who thought that anything at the pet store labelled chinchilla was healthy for them, 6 years later (and a lot of learning) and we're all still going strong. Every now and then one of mine will do something and I'm like OH MY GOODNESS! And the panic sets in. They've been with me long enough to know that I get paranoid easily lol. They usually just give me the "mom I'm fine. Cool it!" look, and everything goes back to normal

I would not worry about your other chin get infect it from playing under the bed. Most infectious bacteria would have not survive from a month of been out of body. Also giardia would have not survived that long without water, even in cyst form. If your other chinchilla has giardia it should has come from the water supply so I would change the source of his water. (I may not know a lot about chinchillas, but I do about giardia; they survive the normal water treatments so it could be in tap water.) Also always remember to wash your hands between pets, ‘cause you can carry the disease from one pet to another.

Its a normal and chronic issue as a chinchilla owner to panic. =P Just the other week I freaked and put my girl in the travel cage with measured amount of food/water and to count her poos. I thought she was off eating cause she didnt want her weekly wheatie (she is super greedy). turns out she is just bored of em atm. Ive had her almost 5 years now haha.

Just wait till the first time you walk in on them sleeping with their feet in the air and you cant see em breathing, gah

Edit: i realised no one answered your sleep question, they sleep most of the day/time, usually with their eyes open. so thats normal to see em in there fav spot.

Last edited:
Back