Several questions..

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LittleNerdyOTAKU

She Who Tries Her Best
Just a few questions.... General questions, really.

When a chinchilla is startled, does it take longer breaths? These don't normally last long, just about three or four long, 'full' breaths with wide eyes if I get up too fast or someone the chinchilla hasn't seen for a while comes near the cage.. Normally goes back to sleeping or laying down after rearranging into a comfortable position.

Are there normal or average times for chinchillas to be awake and asleep? Do these schedules sometimes change for no real reason?

What does chinchilla sneezes actually sound like, does anyone have a link to the actual sound? Just how loud are they? Are they only caused by nose irritation, URI or sickness, and allergies?

Are there squeaks that kind of sound like sneezing, and normally how loud are they and does anyone have a link? Would these squeaks be used in aggravation, boredom, or to get your attention?

I know this is a simple, probably answered question, but I couldn't find it anywhere. I have the link to that chinchilla common noises website already. :)

These aren't any kind of URI problem, though, that's why this thread isn't under health and hygiene. Both chinchillas are males and neither are in the same cage/room. The eldest is about 4 1/2 year.
There is absolutely no constant heavy breathing, wheezing, signs of mucus, eye infections, and water intake is normal... So is food, but these boys are really picky when it comes to their food anyways, and only eat certain parts of their hay/dry food. So spoiled. ;D

When a chinchilla is startled, does it take longer breaths? These don't normally last long, just about three or four long, 'full' breaths with wide eyes if I get up too fast or someone the chinchilla hasn't seen for a while comes near the cage.. Normally goes back to sleeping or laying down after rearranging into a comfortable position.
The chinchilla is using it's sense of smell to ID the 'threat'. They have a very good sense of smell.

Are there normal or average times for chinchillas to be awake and asleep? Do these schedules sometimes change for no real reason?
Yes, and there is a reason you just might not have noticed it. Chins adapt their patterns to their environment - you. Or, possibly the upstairs neighbors if they play very loud music when you are not home, etc.

What does chinchilla sneezes actually sound like, does anyone have a link to the actual sound? Just how loud are they? Are they only caused by nose irritation, URI or sickness, and allergies?
It sounds like a sneeze. I guess you could say it sounds like a "cute little" sneeze. Like humans some are louder than others. Some are high pitched, some low, depends on the chin. Definitely sounds "like a sneeze" though.

Are there squeaks that kind of sound like sneezing, and normally how loud are they and does anyone have a link? Would these squeaks be used in aggravation, boredom, or to get your attention?
I suppose, depends on your definition of sneeze. Some chins like to chat. Some get really chatty with age, you could describe it as a "whiffling" sound and they'll go on with themselves for quite some time. Some even get angry and grump at themselves, when Doughboy started going senile he'd sit on a ledge where his fur would touch the shelf above when he breathed. He'd complain - loudly- for the entire duration, sometimes as long as 20 minutes. He wasn't much of a talker, but I've met a few that talk constantly every waking second. Three out of the four I've witnessed have been dwarfs.

I do not know will help or not, but here's a link to the sounds made by the chinchillas h ttp://www.chinchilla-sounds.de/index_en.htm (space to remove)

Thanks for those answers, they do help so much! And sooo sorry for the wall of text coming after this! And information overload, but just wanted to make sure I covered the important history so it's more of a personal answer and not generalization. :D

--------------

I have to ask more questions, starting with this!~ Can a chinchilla be sneezing from their own fur when shedding? My chinchilla Baby X's 'winter coat' is coming in/he's priming.

I notice recently with X something is tickling my nose when I'm near him that could be affecting him too. Could he be sneezing from dust bath residue? Would the change in dust brands effect him? Normally we get the Kaytee brand, but this time we're using Blue Cloud brand. X tends to stop 'sneezing' if I give him his bath house, unless he gets dust in his nose.

----------------

I really, really do not think X is sick- and I'm someone who normally overly freaks out if I even THINK something is or could be wrong. Baby X has never been sick or shown any signs.

I've also now noticed at least 40% when X is 'sneezing' he's laying down with his nose in the corner of the cage. I'm not really sure why he's doing that, especially since he's making that sneezing noise, but it doesn't really seem to bother him all that much. He makes really soft, normally single chirps or 'grunts' sometimes after he's sneezed.

^ Honestly, literally right now he's laying with his nose in the corner of the cage, sounding like he's actually sneezing(almost snorts with no mucus noises). There is no wheezing. Using the chinchilla-sounds website, he seems to be making single versions of 'the contact grunt sound'(kontakt.wav) very rarely (his pitch has always been high pitched ever since I got him, it's honestly hard to tell what noises he's making) and more commonly the 'decoy sound'(lock.wav) mixed with the 'short concerned tapping noise'(lock1.wav)

I just noticed

Looking at the other noises, it actually sounds like X is sometimes making the 'defense sound'(keck.wav) and 'don't hurt me sound'(tmn.wav) under 'protest sounds'. Actually the 'don't hurt me' sound is being used by him a lot. As in right now, after he's done with the 'sneezing'. That worries me. No one is causing him grief. There really isn't any noise in here, other than me typing. He's really spoiled, and loves it when you pet him. He'll turn his head to your finger, etc...

Does anyone else have a chinchilla who makes these noises with no real reason to make them?? Does anyone know why he could be making that noise, he acts normal! D:

X might just be a talker - they just yak and make noises to themselves constantly.

I hope so. <3 :)
I know Shadow makes that little, cute, happy communication chirp everyday, so I wasn't entirely worried about X almost constantly squeaking,I was just concerned maybe he was sad, though my parents tell me I shouldn't humanize them even if they are really intelligent and feel something to a certain degree. I guess they're right. They both said it sounded like he was chirping, but I guess it sounds like a sneeze to me because it is sometimes really... Bleh, what's the word... 'chuu's, 'choo's, and mucusless baby snorts. Baby snorts. That actually sounds adorable.

Considering I'm in this room most of the day, he could be fussing that I'm not with him constantly or I'm making too much noise! xD

Why don't you record him and put him on Youtube? We could tell you what he was doing then. :))

I'll try! The camera isn't the best recording device and I think the voice recorder is MIA xD It'll be hard to get him at a time when he's actually making the noises and I can get the camera without disturbing him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x6NW7jfFIc&feature=youtu.be Here is the audio of Baby X... He wasn't making much noise at the time, he was originally sleeping but I heard him sneeze once so I went to get the camera... Took several times for him to calm down and stop trying to grab it.. That's why there isn't any video. But it's been cropped so it's mostly him.

I'm really not a bad pet owner if something is wrong with him.

Also I know the first picture he is a little dirty. He had managed to make a mess of food and I was going to give him his bath so he could clean off. :/

Okay, I think we have the problem! My chinchilla (and myself) are allergic to dust! I've been busy, sick, etc off and on for the past month and I haven't been able to properly keep my room clean! There is a fine layer of dust in high places, including my ceiling fan, that has been bothering me and Baby X!

Finally putting those worn socks to use, but what cleaning products can I safely use around a chinchilla?

Vinegar. I use windex on surfaces around the house, it's never bothered anyone. You can also use bath sand instead of dust, it'll help a lot with what gets released into the air. Alternatively, you can dust X in the bathroom in the tub (I put a little in the bottom and let the babies go to town) then wash it down when done. :)) Glad you figured out what it was!

Also, you might want to consider getting a small HEPA air filter as it will catch a lot of that before it settles on surfaces.

Vinegar. I use windex on surfaces around the house, it's never bothered anyone. You can also use bath sand instead of dust, it'll help a lot with what gets released into the air. Alternatively, you can dust X in the bathroom in the tub (I put a little in the bottom and let the babies go to town) then wash it down when done. :)) Glad you figured out what it was!

Also, you might want to consider getting a small HEPA air filter as it will catch a lot of that before it settles on surfaces.

I think we have an air filter somewhere in the house.. As for the 'bath in the bath', I doubt X will let me get him in there without a huge hassle! xDD

And thank you for the answers, I will get everything all cleaned up and see how that helps him. :)

Baby X is such a talker. Soo much talking, I have to keep telling myself that is what it is, especially after reading and listening to chinchilla noises!
xD It's so hard to get use to not running over and letting him out or petting him when I hear him making those little squeaks and grunts. Gee wiz wally. Also, little update.

I let him out like normal this morning and after dealing with his normal daily 'rituals'('man-handling', chewing on my shirt, making me wonder if they have claws or not.. etc), I got him up to my ear just to do a check up and he's still not wheezing and he has no crusties or mucus anywhere. :D
He did sneeze on my cheek though. :I
We're still getting my room cleaned up(neatness; tidiness; clean, clean, clean; look out room, we have O.C.D.) so after Christmas we'll give it a week or so and see if his sneezing calms down.
I don't think the talking will, though. I'll just have to get use to that.

Back