Settling A Skittish Chinchilla?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EternallyCynical

On Monday, I will be receiving my first chinchilla from a cousin of mine who is moving across the country and can't take the little guy with him. The chinchilla used to belong to some friends of his, and according to him went mostly ignored for a very long time (they kept it in the basement and got all kinda of new animals in and while it was looked after it wasn't really socialized....). I believe he's about 8yrs old now.

My cousin says he's been doing a lot of work with this chinchilla, and that he's started to come out of his shell a little bit, but I'm sure that another whole change in routine and surroundings will set that back a ways.

The cage that he's in now, from what I've seen of it, looks fairly cramped and has a LOT of wire grid. I've already shelled out about $350 of my own personal funds to get him a double level CN cage despite the fact that I'm still in high school and had to quit my job at the end of the summer as I couldn't balance the two, so he'll have more space. The cage is located on the lower level of my house (we don't have a proper basement - its actually on ground level, its where the door out to our backyard is) on the non-sunny side of the room where its fairly quiet and a bit cooler for him.

I've already read up on hand-taming and it seems fairly similar to what I do with my guinea pigs. My main question, I guess, is are there any things I can do for him to help the transition be less stressful/help him settle in once he's moved? I'd like to start things off on a good note with him and have this whole move be as minorly traumatic as possible. Any advice would be appreciated! :)

IMO, the most important thing you can do is sit beside him and talk to him as much as possible. That way he will get used to you. Hold your hand next to his cage and offer him pellets or hay. He will start to associate you with good things. Put your hand in the cage after a few days and let him explore it. Maybe put an old fashioned oat on your palm and he will take it. Soon he will hop right on your hand. Don't rush the process, it can take weeks. Well worth it when they come running to you and are excited to see you. Good luck. There is a lot of good info on this site.

One thing you can do if he is skittish is keep something familar from his old home or even use his old cage for a bit to ease the transition. Familiar items could be things like cage accessories (tube, house, ect) or even a handful of old shaving mixed in with new to make the cage smell like him. No matter what you do even tame chins get a bit spooked by a new area, house, or cage.

Thank you so much for the advice! Chili came home today, and has actually settled in a lot better than I expected. He's already figured out how to maneuver in his new space and I think he's happy to have the extra room and to be off the wire grids. He's even come up and sniffed at me through the cage a good few times. As I type this, he's flopped out on his blankie and he's taking a snooze~ All of his cage furnishings have stayed the same so he's got lots that's familiar to him (the benefit of getting him from a family member - I get all his stuff, too). He's a bit jumpy now but that's to be expected. Will be working with him to get him used to me and to a new routine, will hopefully have some fleece pads made up in the next couple of days for him. :)

Time and patience is most impotent. The first chin i took in was passed around countless times and in less then ideal circumstances as well. He would freak out if you even walked near his cage. Several years later, he is the most friendly chin out of all of mine!

I just got my first chinchilla Cheech from his breeder 3 days ago. Hes only 8 weeks old and he is such a good boy :D ! After the first day I've been laying my hand in his cage and he got very used to me and just jumps on my hand and lets me hold and pet him :')
So yeah, just spend as much time with Chili ! He'll bond with you really quickly.

My chin doesn't hop into my hand yet but she is slowly getting comfortable with me. I agree with everyone else, just let them come to you. Once in awhile I pick up hay and let her eat out of my hand. Try no fast movements and just be gentle and sincere.

Congratulations on your new addition. I'm really glad he's settling in well for you.

I have a 2 year old female named Lola that is very skittish in nature and does not tollerate change. She's friendly and loves to play but will under no circumstances be held. She loves to have her chin and head rubbed but lets no one hold her.

When we vacation my son and friends take care of her in our home and just having people other than us caring for her upsets her.

I have found Stess / Anxiety Herb Mix from FuzziesKingdon.com help her calm down. I give her herb mixes on a regular basis and she loves and looks forward to them.

The stress herbs mix help with taming her so she could be petted. We have a quiet home with no other pets, adults only and spend time with her every morning and night so skittish is just her nature.

The other thing you can try to gain your little guy's trust is mini shredded wheat. It's a healthy snack that can be hand fed.

If you have reading assignments, read to him. It will help him to recognize your voice and allow you to get homework done at the same time.

Good Luck.

Latest posts

Back