Seriously Strange Sleeping position

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrystalH

My chinchilla's been doing this weird sitting up position while he sleeps. let me see if i can explain this in a comprehensive way. i use aspen bedding so it's a bit of a cushion for him. so he likes to do a thing where he kind of sits on his rump with his hind legs sticking straight up. so he's kind of balancing on all his fat and his butt. i wish i could get a pic of it...but it's too dark where he likes to sit like that. he looks like a gummy bear standing up...i don't know how else to describe it haha. so anyway i was wondering if i should discourage him from sleeping like that? because it seems really bad for his back? i dk anything about chinchilla anatomy tho so...if anybody has some insight it would be appreciated.

LOL. It's normal. They find all kinds of funny ways to sleep. Wait until you walk in to him sleeping on his side and you think he's dead...only to rush over and scare the poor stinker. :)

ha he does that too. the first time, i freaked out. he sleeps on his back, on his side, etc. but the sleeping in a sitting position takes the cake in weirdness

My old chin Baby J used to sleep like this too!

Attachments

• 000_0483.jpg
    000_0483.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 47
How cute! I'm pretty sure one of my girls sleeps this way too, but she is always facing the back of the cage.

Willow will sleep on her one wood ledge, on her side, with her head hanging off the edge. It's hilarious, but I'm always worried she'll spook and fall on her head. She never has, and the wood ledge is pretty close to the floor, so if she did fall, it wouldn't be far. Most of the time, she'll sleep on her back with all 4 feet in the air, or curls up in a ball like a hamster or a hedgehog would.

Back