Seperating mom from baby?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkpiggy1989

'No they're not bunnies'
2 months ago my chinchilla gave birth. She had a single black velvet little girl. I'm still slightly undecided on if he I plan on keeping her not. In the situation that I do find a new home for her, how would I go about splitting them up.

She is 8 weeks old and eats and drinks on her own.

Personally, I'd leave her with mom for the time being. In the event you do decide to rehome her, I'd give her a week or two in her own cage (prior to going to a new home) so she can adjust for a bit.

I've used a small stuffed animal. My boy kit recently was separated and found comfort in sleeping with a small stuffed lion. When he went to his new home, his lion went with him. He'd sleep on top of it, with his paws around it!

Personally, I'd leave her with mom for the time being. In the event you do decide to rehome her, I'd give her a week or two in her own cage (prior to going to a new home) so she can adjust for a bit.

I plan on leaving them together until my decision is final. I just wouldn't feel right ripping her away from momma at the last second and sending her off.

My Tribble was seperated from mom about a month ago. He has been doing great, he really adjusted well. I did get him a little fleece buddy and it shows up in different parts of the cage, so he is dragging it around..

I agree with Laura though.

Back