Separating males from females.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lovelywhiskers

Hello,

I currently have 3 females, and 1 male chinchilla in different cages. The cages are right next to each other for now, but i'm thinking of getting another male chinchilla to live with my male that I have already. How far does the cages need to be from each other to make sure they don't fight over the females? I've heard stories of the males fighting until death over the females even when in different cages.

I have a reasonable size room, and was thinking of putting the males in one corner, and the females in the other.. will this be ok? My male is currently 4 1/2 months old. What's a good age for a male to pair him with?

Thanks, I hope someone can help! :)

I have several male pairs in cages right next to females and have never had any issues. So I'm sure that across the room would be plenty far enough.

I have a colony of males cages 6 inches from a colony of females. Its rare for them to 'fight' over females. Most of the fights are due to clashing personalities, rather than females. Be sure to take the intro slow and not rush. Caging chins in groups is all about personality.

Thanks for all your feedback. I am still looking for more from other members if they would like to share. :)

Latest posts

Back