Separately caged chins showing interest in each other?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deliamaj

love my chins!
So I recently got a new male chin, Cloud. I have a male/female bonded pair, at least one of which is altered. They are caged separately, but in the same room which is also their playroom. At first when I let one or the other out they paid no attention to each other, but I kept them out of each other's reach anyway. Then suddenly Tseng got a burning desire to reach Cloud's cage. Tseng is not usually the problem solver, that's Elena's department, but he finally found a way to get up there for two seconds before I got him down. So I made sure Cloud's cage is out of his reach. Then last night - the first night out after their big moves to their new cages - Cloud got interested in their cage. And Elena (inside the cage) got interested in Cloud. They spent 10 or 15 minutes - Cloud's whole playtime - trying to get near each other, with me watching like a hawk to make sure they didn't.

So I'm sure it's natural for them to be interested in each other.* Is it dangerous?* Tseng and Cloud weren't near enough for long enough for me to tell if they would fight, and Elena and Cloud have never been that near each other, and I'm really afraid to let them even sniff each other through the bars.* Is there a safe way to conduct an introduction that might keep them from hating each other or fighting? I plan to keep them separated but if I could know that if one gets to the other's cage it won't be a catastrophe, I could relax a little during playtime.

Thanks,
Danielle

I have 3 boys in 2 cages. They get separate playtimes, usually the single guy, Zoidberg, first. Zoidberg will sit and stare at the other boys, Rufus and Dale, the entire time they're out. Rufus spends most of his playtime trying to get to Zoid. They used to be cagemates and are father and son. In the past I had caved in and let Zoid out with Rufus and Dale. It took about 2 minutes for fur to fly everytime. They weren't trying to get to each other to be friends, they want to kill each other.

In your case it may be that Cloud wants to mate with Elena and fight with Tseng. If you're not certain that Elena was spayed, you shouldn't let Cloud near the cage, he can and will try to mate through the bars.

I would never consider housing 2 males with a female. If you don't know who is fixed (male or female) I wouldn't let the other male near. They can breed quick and even through cage bars. I have done same sexed groups before, but with more than 1 male in with a female has always lead to a fight from everyone I know.

I was worried about the mating thing too, I was told she was spayed but who knows? I guess I will have to get some kind of guard around the bottom of the FN for when Cloud is out playing. I think his cage is out of their reach when they are out but I can't exactly lift the FN higher. Sigh. I just got finished cutting and sanding and drilling wood. Elena is going to be really mad. She hates being's blocked off from things.

Latest posts

Back