Sented Dust baths

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KitsuneGem

So I work at Petsmart, I know a lot of you do not like petsmarts because of the care given to the animals. Well before I get hate post about working there, I take pride in the care our animals are given. We are one of the stores that care about the care of our animals, and my manager and I frequent forums to get all the best info on the animals we sell so that we can educate and inform our costumers on what they are buying. Our store manager even has a degree in Birds, I forget what one, but I know he has one.

Now a while ago we used to sell a scented chinchilla dust bath. I have never recommended it to anyone, since I remember reading somewhere that it was bad for them. Now I have a slight problem, I over heard a new coworker who thinks he knows everything about anything, telling a lady to go and buy this scented dust bath off line. Later I politely corrected him and told him that it was not a good idea to use it for chinchillas. He countered by asking why, now I was stumped. I couldn't remember why it was bad, just that it was.

Can someone lend me a hand and remind me why it was bad? Its been so long since we carried that product that I just assumed I would never have to deal with it again.

http://www.chinchillas.com/estore/detail.aspx?ID=228

That was the dust we used to carry.

Well, for one reason, they don't need it. Chins don't stink unless you don't take care of them and provide a clean environment.

Second, it's perfume. Rodents and perfume don't mix. Rodents can easily develop respiratory issues and perfume might just help with that.

Thirdly, if I remember right, scented dust is expensive and doesn't do nearly as good a job as Blue Cloud. If she's going to order on-line anyway, why not just order the best and buy Blue Cloud?

Thankfully she picked up the blue cloud we sell in store. I told my coworker that the perfume in it could cause resporty issues, but I wanted to double check to make sure I wasn't wrong. Ive been having a lot of problems with this certain coworker and giving the right info out to new pet parents, thankfully management is going to step and help.

I agree with everything tunes said.

I would just like to add that this made me laugh out loud:

"Pet Scentsations Chinchilla Dust should be kept out of reach of children and pets"

That stuff smells sooo gross. I've never used it for my chins but I've seen other chins that had it.

"Pet Scentsations Chinchilla Dust should be kept out of reach of children and pets"

I agree!

I also work for a PetSmart...and had the same issues when we carried the scented dust. I also love my store because of the emphasis we put on the care of the animals. My manager had even signed a letter I wrote to corporate about the dangers of using plastic accessories or selling plastic cages for chins, in addition to the terrible information our care guide gives. Nothing came from it, unfortunately.

I am glad two of you seem to work at somewhat receptive Petsmarts. As far as the plastic goes no rodent should really be housed in a plastic cage. Even a hamster or a gerbil could potentially chew through plastic. Also plastic is porous and can hold in nasty germs and things. Wire cages are just much safer but they aren't as "cute". At our local Petsmart I think the employees must get incentives for selling items with pets. They try to get people to buy stuff. I have watched them tell people what they 'need' and start handing them things off the shelf. If you're a new pet owner you're going to assume the petstore knows what they are talking about when often they do not. People spend hundreds of dollars buying things that aren't even safe for their pet. The local Petsmart here keeps chinchillas in a large aquarium type cage with a plastic igloo and nothing to chew. The hay is just thrown on the floor for the chin to eat, if there is any hay in there. Other than that they have pellets and water. No ledges to jump around on, nada. Petstores actually shoot themselves in the foot. I'd be much more likely to fall in love and purchase a chinchilla if I saw it bouncing around being cute. The ones at the petstores here are typically curled up in ball somewhere looking scared out of their wits.

Latest posts

Back