Seminal Fluid in Chest Hair

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airyn

One of my boys was furiously pulling at his chest area a little while ago, which consequently was a bit wet. [Insert heart attack here.] Upon further inspection, I found a white colored "mass" stuck in his fur. It has a hardened, rubbery consistency and it's really caked in there. I managed to break apart the portion closest to the surface with my fingernails, but the rest wasn't budging. I tried applying a few drops of water with a feeding syringe to work it out, and it definitely dissolved a bit, but I can't seem to get down to the root. By that point, he'd had enough, so I gave him a dust bath and left him alone.

Would the next best step be scissors once it hardens again, or should I pick up some baby wipes tomorrow? More importantly, assuming this is seminal fluid, what are some possible reasons for that to happen?

Bit of background... I had his teeth x-rayed back in July because his weight dropped and he was leaving piles of pellets around the bowl, but the x-rays came back fine. I did a hair ring check a little while ago and all was well.

For now I have the boys separated and did a quick clean-up of the cage so that I can watch him closely for the next few days. Any other ideas?

I often found the penis attached to the chest hair on malo chins, but I have also found it on normal chins. One time it was bad on a malo chin and the penis needed to be removed from the chest hair by cutting the hair away, then I had to use a warm compress on it to remove the hair and the such. The semen it like the best glue, its hard to remove. If this was my chin and this happened I would be on dental alert and watch closely for other symptoms.

You know, I don't know about other chins, but my Tribble had this happen just a few days ago. He had quite a bit of it caked on his chest, kinda going in a straight line up. I didn't mess with him and he had it completely cleaned up by that night. This isn't the first time it's happened either. Everytime he cleans it up on his own. This might be the reason why it's the first time you noticed, because he gets it on his own. However, I know this is just my chin. I don't know if yours is different (dental issues, etc), so keep an eye on him and see if he cleans it up. Some chins might need assistance.

Thank you both! I watched Boji for another hour last night and he was eating, drinking, pooping and chewing normally. I checked him out this morning and there was definitely improvement, so I put his cagemate back in with him with the hope that Buddha might help him groom the rest of it out. Boji's 7 years old and has never had any dental issues...just miscellaneous signs that terrify me occasionally. I hope I'm just being neurotic, but I put in a call to the vet to see if she wants to schedule another x-ray just to be on the safe side.

My boys have been getting an exceptional amount of semen on each other lately. At first I was trying to clean it out of their fur as much as I could, but then I kinda gave up on it. They get most of it out between the two of them grooming back and forth. The dust bath on fresh semen turns into a cement like substance, especially on the belly fur. I wouldn't suggest a scissors, they have thin skin, and I'd be afraid of cutting them.

I would not put the chin under for a x-ray at this point unless other symptoms crop up such as weight loss, mouth swiping, choking, moist lips, small poo. There is a risk any time a chin is put under so I would at this point if you are worried just keep a weight record and weigh once a week, if there is no gradual loss there is no teeth issue.

By the time I got home from work, most of it was gone, so that much is good! When I spoke with my vet this afternoon, she said the same thing about a weight record. I think the last time I weighed him was September or October, so I'll gladly start back up again. Also, the last time he had dental x-rays, they didn't have to put him under. I don't recall if it's because he's that calm or what, but it was over, done with and on a monitor in under 15 minutes.

Latest posts

Back