Seizure

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No the vet said to start hand feeding her right away though likeyou guys did. He's been in constant contact with me and based on her progress with feeding tonigt we will see. I'll make sure she eats more. I won't let her die. I love her way to much

Ok I got somewhere between 10-15 mls in her for this feeding. She was so well behaved. I wrapped her in a towel and fed her. She just closed her eyes and ate. I'd take it away so I could make sure she was breathing between and swallowing and shed look for the syringe. We both did end up wearing a ton of though. I was 15 minute late back to work but it's ok. The 60 ml syringe is definetly the way to go. I filled it up to the 25 ml mark, and yes sometimes it would spurt out and we'd get covered but she didn't seem to mind too much.

Did you get a scale to find out if she is loosing weight?

Scales are pretty cheap, if you go to a kitchen section at a drug store you should be able to find a little gram scale.

I hope she will be better soon.

I've had one, just sucked at keeping up on it till now. She maintained from yesterday to today!!! Handfeeding went a million times better today. We are using CC now, and the vet gave me 1 ml syringes and a cat carrier so she can stay in my bedroom with me. She's a lot more calm and is getting used to the routine of handfeeding. Before she freaked out when I'd pick her up, now she lets me pick her up, wrap her in the towel, and waits for the food. She even took a nap on me today....which I know means shes definetly not feeling well. She's such a sweetie though. I'm just happy she maintained weight. Oh and 1ml syrines are soooo much easier to control. I did a 3 ml syrine and then jumped to a 60ml syringe...both which resulted in us covered. She doesn't waste a drop with the 1 ml syringe.

She needs to be eating at least 10ml per feeding, most chins eat around 20ml per feeding for a total of 60-100ml a day. Get a 10ml feeding syringe, its the best size for your hand and easy to control.

Petsmart sells them in the bird or small animal section

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4191244

I'd also say that it might take a bit to build up to getting them to eat 10 mL, it took a week to get Stormy that high but by the time she was finished handfeeding she was eating 35 mL, but every chin is different.

35 mL per feeding or per day? If all you were feeding was 35 mL per day, it wasn't going to accomplish anything.

I'd also say that it might take a bit to build up to getting them to eat 10 mL, it took a week to get Stormy that high but by the time she was finished handfeeding she was eating 35 mL, but every chin is different.

I have always fed 20ml per feeding (if its not a GI issue) in 1000s of feedings I have done in the last 11 years. There is no "build up".

True- then again Stormy had not been eating for a while, and she's not very big either.

Gino was 390 grams, just came off stasis and when that settled down he ate 20ml per feeding, Dante was 485gms, 17 years old and he ate 25ml per feeding, size does not matter nor does if they ate before, of all the tons of chins I hand fed for various reasons ALL at more than 10ml per feeding, regardless of size, age, condition.

She's doing a lot better today. I was feeding her every 2 hours, 5-10 mls depending on whats she'd eat. This morning she ate 15mls for me and it was great. Shes a lot more lively and she ate about 4 grams of pellets on her own (I'm weighing the bowl). I didn't get a weight on her yet cause she was being a brat and she actually bite me so I figured she must be feeling a bit better lol. Her poop is getting more frequent and bigger which is also great. I'm going to switch to every 4 hours at long as I can keep getting at least15 mls in her a feeding. I'll update you guys on her weight later on.

Gino was 390 grams, just came off stasis and when that settled down he ate 20ml per feeding, Dante was 485gms, 17 years old and he ate 25ml per feeding, size does not matter nor does if they ate before, of all the tons of chins I hand fed for various reasons ALL at more than 10ml per feeding, regardless of size, age, condition.

Then I guess my chin was different, but that's how I had to do it. Either way, she's doing great.

muzzyj- I'm so glad she's doing better! Best of luck!

its good that she is gaining but it is also important to make sure she attempts to eat pellets & hay.

i also agree at the 10 ml syringes. they were by far the easiest to handle. i would fill 5 up at a feeding and hope that my chin would eat at least 3 of them. some days all 5 and some days only 2 but at the time the minimum i would get into him was about 90cc's for the daily total.

the key will be can she maintain that weight or a healthy weight after you stop handfeeding her. most chins will maintain a weight when you are pumping them full of CC or what ever supplement you are using in large quantities every day. the goal is to get her thru whatever it is she is dealing with and then back on regular food and maintaining her weight.

It seems like there really isn't anything wrong with her other then her refusing to eat pellets and hay...could she just be a picky eater? She seems to love my mix of CC, Lifeline, and the drop of dyex I've given her at each feeding. BTW she ate 30mls for me!!!! I'm reallly excited.

Back