Scruffy's eyes

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrazyForChinchillas

Chinchilla maid ;)
I took Scruffy to the vet today since his eyes have been having discharge, sometimes white/thick. The vet does not think it is an infection.
They gave me an anti inflammatory eye drop to use two to three times a day. They will check back in a week to see how it is helping. They want us to go back if it gets worse. The vet said it may be irritation/allergy related.
He suggested xrays to rule out teeth problems, but he looked in his mouth and felt his jaw and said it all looks and feels good. His teeth are evenly worn.
He doesn't paw at his mouth or have trouble eating, or drool, so I think he is fine there. He eats like a champ and weighs 834 grams today.

Is there anything else we can do or could use to treat this if it is allergies or sensitivity to dust?

I'm experiencing the same thing with my chin Magorium. The first round of drops didn't work for us and now we are on stronger ones and a oral antibiotic. After that she said she's gonna have to put him to sleep to flush his tear ducts. There may have been a blockage from his dust.

I thought I've read before that you can't flush a chins tear duct? I'm pretty sure Dawn has said that it's impossible to do this.

I took Scruffy to the vet today since his eyes have been having discharge, sometimes white/thick. The vet does not think it is an infection.
They gave me an anti inflammatory eye drop to use two to three times a day. They will check back in a week to see how it is helping. They want us to go back if it gets worse. The vet said it may be irritation/allergy related.
He suggested xrays to rule out teeth problems, but he looked in his mouth and felt his jaw and said it all looks and feels good. His teeth are evenly worn.
He doesn't paw at his mouth or have trouble eating, or drool, so I think he is fine there. He eats like a champ and weighs 834 grams today.

Is there anything else we can do or could use to treat this if it is allergies or sensitivity to dust?

Get the xrays. Looking in the mouth and feeling the jaw can't give you the whole picture. You need the xrays to know exactly what is going on. I know xrays are expensive, however better to rule it out now, then to treat the symptoms for months just to find out later that it was the roots. I know it's easy to want to deny that teeth issues are occuring, but you need to find out what is going on. If the xrays turn out to be fine then just treat as the vet has recommended and go from there.

The next time i take magorium in i'm going to ask our vet to do them for him. just to rule that out too! this thread has gotten really helpful thanks so much! They did flush his eye out..not the tear duct but the eye itself with and antibacterial wash and it did wonders now with his antibiotics..he's back to his old antics.... running around and gettin into things :D

Back