Scritches

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabby88

Do the majority of chins enjoy scritches, or does it vary a lot depending on the individual chin?

Mine still won't let me try to give them scritches. They'll climb right into my hand and don't run away from me, but they still don't want to be touched much. They're a about 15 weeks old now. Do you think they'll start coming around when they're older?

Momo is starting to let me hold her for a little longer at a time, and she even lets me pet her while she's being held for a few seconds. If I keep trying, is it a good sign that maybe someday she'll allow scritches?

Part of the problem is that the bars of the cage I have aren't large enough for me to put my finger through. So I have to open the door to try to give scritches, and then they're more interested in trying to escape than be touched. lol

Can you tell I'm anxious to pet the little boogers?! The softest and cuddliest looking animals in the world don't like being cuddled. Life is cruel. :tantrum:

Attachments

• hammock2.jpg
    hammock2.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 76
Rhino came home at the end of February. just recently he's started making the 'scritchy face', and looking like he's enjoying being scritched instead of just tolerating it, lol. but only one spot (under the jaw, to the side, on the left) results in 'scritchy face'.

2 of my 9 chins like scritches. The others just sit there or turn their head to see what you're doing.

That's not a large percentage, StevieP! I'm still holding out hope that maybe Momo will as least let me give her scritches. One of the two is better than none.

I have found that they don't like scritches until they are older and more settled down. Some of mine will tolerate them for just a few seconds if you know their spot, others will almost let me give them a full rubdown for as long as I like - it is entertaining to watch those! :)

Chinchy's a year and a half old, I got him in January and it took him a few months to succumb to my scritches, lol. Now when I scritch him, he just melts and he closes his eyes, lol. And he loves to be scritched on his head, under his chin, and behind his ears.

Persephone and Chalupa are new, and Persephone is more responsive to scritches, but she'll nip me when she's had enough. In my experience at least, it seems that chins are more receptive to it once they're settled in and comfortable in their environment. It also may be true that younger chins don't like them as much. Chalupa's about 7 months old and she could care less about scritches, she just wants to escape and have playtime!

Here are some pictures of Stuart (who most of you know as Sugar Ray) getting scritches. He is my "special needs" chin and the love of my life (after my kids and husband of course)!!! I could scritch him all day long except my fingers get tired! :)

Attachments

• DSCN1471.jpg
    DSCN1471.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 51
  • DSCN1472.jpg
    DSCN1472.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 48
  • DSCN1473.jpg
    DSCN1473.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 49
I got mine at about 4 months of age. Lao Tsu has always liked being petted. Sappho, on the other hand, always kacked at me when I tried to pet her. No matter what angle or spot I tried. Then she got to where I could pet her a little, but only in "certain" spots; if I deviated from that at all she'd kack. Now (at almost 6 months of age), she lets me scritch all different spots. So, I think there's hope for your girls, :D

EMSChins, Stuart is so cute!!! I can tell he is really enjoying his scritches. Mine do not like scritches and will "punch" my hand like they're sparring with me. They are still young so that may be a factor.

Thanks Andrea - I think so! :)

Alot of mine will push my hands away too, I just persist on trying every couple of days, I find that some of mine are tempermental, some days they want to be messed with and other days they do not - I have especially found this to be true of my BV's and Eb's. They either want a ton of attention or absolutely none at all.

Henry didn't like skritches at all at first, he preferred being stroked, especially the top of his head (the way rabbits often enjoy, in repeated smooth strokes back towards the ears). He'd sit by me for over an hour at a time and let me stroke him, but looked uncomfortable if I tried giving skritches. Gradually he also allowed ear rubs and then skritches behind the ears and then under the chin (especially the right side for some reason), though, and he'll come up to me and insist on being skritched now. So, I'd say give it time, and maybe try different spots, find out what they like best.

They (and EMSChins' Stuart) are very cute. :))

It depends really. I got one of my chins when he was still young and it took a while for him to settle down to like getting scratched. He was over 6 months old before he got used to it. Now he'll practically lay out for me and scratch every inch of him. As for my other boy, he only allows it on the top of his head or right behind his head. I got him when he was nearly a year old and it still took time for him to let me pet him. He's very particular otherwise. He'll take your fingers in his mouth and hold them there as if telling you you've crossed the line if you're in a non-approved scritch area. LOL.

Pixel doesn't really allow me to scritch him yet but he has slowly allowed me to stroke him and cuddle him, I think scritches are the last hurdle. So there is always hope :)

Yuki finally let me give her scritches for the FIRST TIME today!!! I was sooo happy!

Later she kept pushing my finger away, but for a brief moment today, she let me give her scritches and even made the cute happy scritch face. I'm a happy chinnie mommy! :)

Momo still gives me the look of death if I try to touch her. Then she has to take a step away from me, groom herself exactly where I touched her, and look at me like "Umm...don't ever do that again". Little spoiled brat! Haha!

Sadly, our fist chin use to let us give her scitches...but after we got our new girl she will barely let us touch her. She is mad at us still even though it has been a week or so. Hopefully she will come back around, but her additude change makes me more than a little sad. Our new girl lets us give scritches and is happy as a hog in mud, but Sasha's fur is sooooo much softer and I miss getting to see her scitches face. :tantrum:

Anyone could scritch Scruffy all day:
5482065081_ee39bdb814.jpg
5937490754_75762c320f.jpg
5936927681_161909e5b1.jpg

5204321457_59cfbc2323.jpg

4926859181_6f1022302e.jpg

Back