scratching and scratching and scratching!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torsornin

'Tater lately has been scratching and digging in her cage - in her sleeping spot in her little box - last night she would NOT stop - it was so loud it woke me up another room away!!!!
she dug for like 30 minutes - finally I got up to check on her to make sure she didnt have a blanket caught on a nail or something - moved the box - picked 'Tater up - she looked fine - put her down - she scampered off to a corner - left the box in a different spot in the cage stuffed her blanky in - went to bed - no more digging woke me up

Just have noticed her digging scratching at the bottom more often

Any thoughts? she seems fine and nothing has changed with her routine/care/bedding/nails etc

I've had a few do that, some I never figured out why, others I ended up changing what bed I used for them and they stopped.

Poptart used to go under her cage liners and dig, dig dig against the cage pan. For her, my little princess, if the liner was lumpy under her bed it upset her, she couldn't smooth it out, therefore she would go under her liners and dig. Once I started ensuring her liner wasn't lumpy under her bed, no more digging. If you remember the princess and the pea story, that is my little Poptart. Very sensitive.

While she is an extreme, most were fine once I found a bed that they liked. Most of the time it was because they wanted to nest into something. Sometimes a pigloo with some pieces of fleece thrown in helped that.

How funny! I will remember to keep the liner flat when I pick my baby up tomorrow. xD

Back