scented dust and temperature

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luci

Gizmo's roommate
not so much the temperature of the dust...lol. just 2 separate questions.

1. is scented dust alright? when i was buying the starting essentials for gizmo, my bf picked up the Pet Scentsations chinchilla dust. we liked the vanilla bean smell. before even finding this forum i assumed it would be ok. we used the dust his bathhouse came with and he seemed to have liked it but now that im changing his dust to the scented one, i was wondering if its ok. when i poured it in, even i sneezed so i was hesitant to give it to him. but since thats all i have for now, i had to. so what should i do? im considering driving to petsmart (there really arent any exotic pet stores in galveston or the surrounding areas) and buy another unscented brand of dust. or should i just order some online and wait for it to come and still use the scented dust in the mean time?

wow long question. sorry.

2. i live in an apartment with 2 other girls. for the past few weeks they comment on how cold it is. i've kept the thermostat at around 72. he's in a shaded area in my room and has a marble slab in his cage. any other ideas? mostly to make my roommates happy. hes pretty content right now, but they arent and i find them changing the temperature at times. do they sell SMALL window units?

thanks!

A big NO to the scented dust. There are other threads on here pertaining to that topic if you do a search on it. Chins have a sensitive respiratory system and the scented product is only for the "humans". Chins do not have an odor to them. If they stink, it's because there cage is not clean. I wouldn't use the scented dust at all, in fact, take it back the store and get your money back. There are a number of breeders in Texas or people in the classfied ads here that sell dust. I would look into that. Seeing how you have one chin, 5# will last you a long time.
I keep my chins cooler than 72 degrees. I don't count on the slabs or shaded part of the rooms as a means of temperature control. Look into getting a window unit. THey come in all sizes and price ranges. Plus they are on sale now!

yes definitely look into getting a window unit. They are cheap and can be found in Target or Walmart.

Window units are great. I have one for my chinchilla room. You can find some small ones for a reasonable price at places like Walmart.

The Scented dust is not safe. Chinchillas have a very sensitive Respiratory system and the scented dust can cause URI

The smallest window units are usually the cheapest too. They're not even $100 at WalMart or Home Depot for the smallest ones (here anyway).

Latest posts

Back