Scared to death of heat stoke

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurensab

Laur
I have a concern and I wanted some input... I have had my chin Brinkley for2 years. I live in HOT Florida. The house is kept at 74/75 degrees but I am very scared he may get heat stroke. I have 2 cold slabs and he always seems ok. However, I let him out to play tonight and when he went back in his home, his ears were warm and he was laying kinda flat. I freaked out and got him cooled off right away and he was 100% fine. Is this room temp exceptable? I recently had to move back home and live with my parents and 74 is as low as they will allow it to go. Looking into a window unit. He is eating drinking pooping and peeing. Alert and awake but I am a nervous momma..

He definitely needs an a/c unit to keep the room at a temp lower to around 70 degrees if he seems to have gotten too warm today during playtime. He also may need play time later in the evening when it has cooled down more. If he seems fine now, he probably is. Just continue to monitor him to make sure he is eating/drinking and pooping ok and is acting normal. Also, are you sure about the room temp? The room he is in should have a temp. guage and an a/c unit to keep from getting too warm.

If you cannot keep it below 74 degrees then I would not allow playtime until then. While chins might be fine in a warmer climate such as 74 if they are allowed to play then they heat up fast and heat stroke is very possible. When it is hot and humid in my opinion chinchillas should not be allowed out for playtime where they can over exert themselves and get too hot.

Thank you so much everyone! I am getting a room thermo asap for the room. However, it said it was 74 last night and I let him out for a shorter amount of time, let him take a break, then let him out for a shorter time again and he was excellent. Ears were cold, not laying flat, and eating drinking and poopin. So that's what I'll do from now on. Thanks again

Latest posts

Back