scared of hands

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brittanyydevan

rubys mom
i've had my chinchilla, ruby, for about 2 months now and she seems to be making progress towards getting used to me. i take her out everyday for good periods of time, anywhere from an hour to three hours and i sit in my bathroom and let her hop all over me. but i've found that she doesnt like when i try and pet her and hold her. i dont know if she just associates my hands with going back inside her cage or if she just doesnt like me. will she ever like to be pet or held?

None of my chinchillas like to be held but we've worked it out so that they come and sit on me if I am in front of the cage. They are free to go back in the cage if they want and I never chase them. Once they are used to being on me I started to try and touch them. Eventually all my boys have let me give them snuggles this way but it took a few months in Jackie's case because I'm not sure he'd been handled that much. Hope this helps.

Most chins do not like to be pet or held. They really don't want to be held when they are out for playtime. Running is much more fun than sitting on a lap. The fact that she is running all over you is a very good sign. She seems to have adjusted to you. Have you tried to scratch behind her ears or under her chin? Some chins really like a good scritch.

she occasionally lets me rub behind her ears or under her chin, but not for long periods of time. and she does hop out of her cage to see me everytime i sit in front of it. also, when i wake up she is sitting there waiting for me to come say hi to her and right before i go to bed. i just want her to be really happy with me cuz i'm trying to hard to be a good owner.

you can start by giving ruby scritches while she's inside the cage. the spacing of rutherford cage gives me enough room to stick a few fingers in there when he huddles close to the cage. if he wants scritches, he'll close his eyes and look like he's really enjoying it when i start scratching his chin. if he doesn't want any, he'll move away and that's how i know. you can try that so she's used to you giving her some love while she's inside the cage :))

but yeah, rutherford doesn't enjoy scritches when he's out for playtime... unless he's chewing on a stick or found an interesting toy, he usually doesn't rest long enough for any scritches.

thats good to know. she does seem to like it more when shes in her cage but whenever shes out for playtime, shes all over the place. including my shoulder and head. so i think its a good sign that she likes me :)

First off, you must remember, every chin is diffrent. Granted their are some things that are considered common amung them. I have 5 chins. Of them five, 0 like to be held or picked up. Only 1 is almsot somewhat not panicy about it. The rest forget it lol.
My only female, forget about trying to pick up, but also doesnt rly like to be petted or scratched either. Where as my oldest male, will looove a good stomic scratch.

If your girl is running and hoping all over you while shes out, thats a good sign. Shes probably getting used to you, and starting to become comfortable around you. So theirs a decent chance she jsut may not like being held. Just continue building up that trust and comfortablility. She may one day change her mind and/or let you, or she may jsut not liek it.

And let me warn you, jsut incase you fall into this catagory, when mine hop on my shoulders or head.. they also love to try and chew my glasses ><

It takes time, and some chins don't like to be touched/handled much at all. I only have one that insists on cuddles every night, and even then I'm the one getting petted/groomed, not him!

I have one that is very shy, and to work on that I take a small treat like an oat top or piece of crumbled rose hip, and hide it between two fingers inside a lightly closed fist. He can smell it, sometimes he can see a bit of it, but he can't actually reach it unless he makes contact w/ my hand (i.e. tugging on a finger, wedging his nose under my thumb, etc.). It's a sneaky trick to get him used to hands being good things, but I figured if they're at least as smart as a rat and the hidden treat trick is a good one to use w/ fearful or shy dogs in rescue situations, why not try it w/ my chin? So far, so good. :)

Both of my chins dont like scritches of strokes really but at a rare moment of madness they let me. I let them sniff my hand first and then approach them slowly, they will either flick me off or sit still :)

All four of mine are a lot happier to be touched when they're tired or sleeping. When they're awake, they have a one-track mind... PLAY!

i've noticed that when rubys out playing, if i dont pay attention to her, like if i text someone, she will hop on my phone and not get off until i put my phone down and pay attention to her. i'm glad shes getting used to me :)

i've noticed that when rubys out playing, if i dont pay attention to her, like if i text someone, she will hop on my phone and not get off until i put my phone down and pay attention to her. i'm glad shes getting used to me :)

OMG!!! Pepper and Coy both do that to me too haha. But then they will run around as soon as I stop. lol Its like MOOOM Look at meeeee

thats funny. i was in the bathroom and playing my ipod and ruby got up in my face and coya tries 2 take my ipod:thumbsup:

whenever i'm cleaning fonzie or caspers cages i leave them in there and completely ignore them. they come over to me on their own time so they get use to my hands. casper is still a little wary but fonzie now lets me hold him and will sit with me while i watch tv for a good 10-20 minutes at a time. they just have to get use to you. but like others have said, all chinchillas are different. fonzie may love sitting with me and casper may never get use to it. good luck with your little furry one :))

Back