Saturday, October 6, 2012 Colorado ECBC October Field Day

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
THANKS, everyone!!!

We had a small turnout, only 7 exhibitors...stay tuned...

First class ALL were first place!!!

Last edited:
MUTATIONS

Grand show, white, Ashleigh Powell, Golden chinchillas

Reserve grand show, black, Roger Clark, mountain view chinchillas

Last edited:
I just wanted to say I had a great time at the show today. It was a great learning experience and I really enjoyed seeing all the wonderful chins! And of course, it was nice to meet some fellow chinchilla lovers. Thanks, Lynn, for helping me to feel welcome!

You're welcome, Kevin, it was my pleasure!!! I'm glad you had a good time and got to meet some of the "Old Timers".

We'll look forward to seeing you again at our February show. It should be larger and have more exhibitors since it will be a full on show, rather than a Field Day.

It was a great day and some new faces! Very happy to see new people, thank you for coming. Very nice looking animals on the table today. I'm pleased how I did even for as young as some were.

Congrats to the winners! Lynn do you know who the other exhibitors of the seven were? How many animals were shown? Also who ended up judging?

Last edited:
The 7 exhibitors were Roger Clark, Cindy Zeller, Maynard Beitz, John Suhr, Ashleigh Powell, Mikayla Klimper, Bud and Ruth Ann Egging, Sydnee Dupon.

There were 54 Standards and 45 Mutations.

Since it was our Fall Field Day, the judging was done by the Ranchers and Junior Ranchers, paired up for each class on a rotating basis. When the first places had been assigned, and comments had been made, the audience stepped up to view and vote for who they thought the Class Champion and Reserve Class Champion should be.

It was a fun day of education and learning for all -- participants as well as onlookers!!!

Thanks to all to attended and helped out!!! It takes a village to put on a chin show!!!

Oh, boy, did I ever have a mistake making day!!!

The name of Roger Clark's Ranch is Silver Spruce Chinchillas, NOT Moutain View -- that is Maynard Beitz.

My apologies to ALL!!!

I think all the excitement just got to ya Lynn! I am sure it has nothing to do with age.

Lol!!!

Congrats to all! I think that is pretty neat to let the audience judge.

Kyle, we do that in the Western Colorado Branch Field Day in the Spring, too. It's a lot of fun getting to be involved.

This gives everyone, experienced rancher, newbie, pet owner, a chance to stand behind the table and hear what the judges have to say about each animal and you learn what characteristics to look for. It makes an amazing difference when you are able to hold a chin closely under the lights and have a fault or a good characteristic pointed out right in front of you.

Another fun thing we have done is everyone walks around and tries to guess what the GSC and RGSC champion in both Standards and Mutations will be. You write your numbers down on a piece of paper, and after the winners are announced, they see if anyone was right. 2 years ago at the Western Branch Field Day, I correctly chose the 2 winners in Mutations and won a prize!!!

I have learned so much over the years by doing that and sitting in the front row where you can get as close as possible. I enjoy seeing if I can pick the winner on my own, anyway, and it is very scarily exciting to me that I usually do pick the same one the Judge does.

I would love to train to be a judge, but until I win the lottery and can start up my own chinchilla ranch, it looks like I'll just be doing it for fun and my own personal satisfaction that I DO know what a good animal looks like!!!

Hope to see you and Nicole this weekend in Wisconsin!!! (And maybe at our Colorado Spring show???...)

Last edited:
Colorado has some beautiful landscape. Hope sometime we would be able to make it out there. But we aren't even going to WI this weekend. So have fun, win some nice raffle things, and we will see you next year.

Back