Sages toe bitten off

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melbur10

I heard barking/crying from the chin room (sage was in her cage the other girls were out to play)
I came in to find sage has a missing toe covered in blood and the very tip of a toe on her other foot both bitten off!
One toe is bone showing the other I don't think is? God it's hard to tell!
I'm freaking out

Ok so on further inspection her lip was bitten very bad as well and her one toe is Definitly half gone with bone showing, her other toe is just slightly bitten so no bone..
I have both toes cleaned and her lip cleaned with saline wound wash.
I put blue kote on her lip and one toe but am unsure what to do with her half toe...
She in now on torb- maybe using torb is exesive but, I would Definitly want the heavy meds of my finger was gone!!
:'( I feel like the worst mom ever!!!

Completely Clean cage all brand new clean fleece.
Clean dishes clean hay clean pellets.
Cleaned ledges.

Should I Blu kote her half toe? When I get her into the vet on Monday I don't want them to not be able to see through the blue kote... :/
I wish this wasnt sat night, I doubt emerg can do any thing for her can they??

Last edited:
Oh my, I wonder what happened in the cage. Did it look like she caught it on something and hat to chew it off in order to get out? I would contact your vet immediately, even if you can't get in until Monday. Infections can spread in humans in under a matter of minutes when a finger is missing, and they could even die from blood loss (extreme case, but it has happened before). If your vet has an emergency option, I'd do it now.

She's not actually bleeding any more there was very minimal blood loss, sorry to explain it was one of my other girls who bit her toes and nose through the bars (they don't get along)

I've got baytril and tms antibiotics on hand and know the does appropriate for her.

She's acting like nothing happened and is keeping busy with kiwi sticks right now.
Every thing is spotless clean now to prevent infection

Is there a way to keep the other girls from being able to repeat this attack? A way to block off the bottom bars to protect her? No one was in the room to see which girl/girls did the attacking? I would worry about possible other violent events. Would be nice to know which chin attacked her or if more than one did so you know who to keep away from who for sure.

I'm 99% sure it's my girl ghost who attacked her, she hates sage and sage trys to provoke her by chattering and spraying the last two months they have been ignoring sage when they are out and sage ignored them... I guess sage decided to go down and provoke her today...
I stupidly stepped out to try and clip hedghog nails ... Thats when I heard some one cry...
There will Definitly be some extra preventative measures taken now (this is the first time a bite has occurred and the first Time blood has been drawn)

The girls room is chin prof to such an extent that sage actually is 80% of the time a free roam chin... (she can't access the other girls cage or bars because of the way I built it)
The only times she is caged is for the other girls play times... And a couple other reasons...

I'm so mad at the twins right now, both ghost and her sister midnight do not like sage. But ghost is the aggressive one...
My sage is my little baby <3 my heart is broken that I even allowed this to happen :(

I have so many chins with missing toes....even just from their neighbors if they can reach feet through the cage wires, they will take toes.

She will be ok, just keep an eye on it, the blu kot is going to help and its good that you cleaned it too.
Ive noticed missing toes even later than you did so wasn't able to do any cleaning of the wounds and they all were fine.

heres a pic of my girl Nugget with her missing toe, its kinda funny looking
finger2.jpg

Back