Safety Gates

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morselchip87

Hi Everyone,

I was curious if anyone has used child safety gates in the past to block off a hallway or room for their Chin. Gizmo is very curious and ornery and likes to squeeze underneath the bedroom door and go exploring the rest of the house. At first I was able to block it off with a bath towel that was rolled up underneath the door, but he's learned that he can tug it out of his way and escape anyways. Then I tried a piece of cardboard behind the door, but he still manages to kick it out of the way.

My only concern with the Child safety gate would be the wire spacing (don't want him getting stuck/sneaking through) and what the wood is made out of. Also, I'm worried he might try to climb it. Just looking for advice/recommendations on anyone who has used one successfully in the past.

Thanks!
Michelle

I wouldn't recommend a child safety gate because of a few reasons. Wire spacing would be one as well as climbing/jumping over the gate. I got my chin one of those puppy play pens and the wire spacing was too wide and she slipped right trough it. We had to cover the whole thing in fleece and then she figured out she could just climb out. I wouldn't waste my money on one if I could go back in time. I would recommend just keep a close eye on him or keep him in the bathroom and keep something a little heavier by the door (a laundry hamper?). Best of luck :)

you might want to try getting some weather stripping and seal the bottom of the door properly with it. I know that in my area most of the newer homes are built in such a way that there is always a large gap beneath the walk through door leading from the garage to the outside. I do not understand why builders never seal these locations correctly, but the fact is the gap makes it easy for rats to squeeze underneath the door and come in. However, if some proper weather stripping is applied the gap is sealed and the rats can't get in by going under the door. I imagine the same is true for a chinchilla going under a door inside the home. Otherwise a safety gate modified with 1/2" x 1/2" wire may work, but I'd rather go the cheap way and just do the weather stripping.

The gap is on an internal (bedroom) door. It's about 2 maybe 2.5" tall. It looks like it was cut to allow for carpeting, but the carpeting has since been removed and I have hardwood floors. The other doors in the area (another bedroom and a closet) don't have as big of a gap and he can't squeeze under them. Since I rent, I don't feel comfortable using weatherstripping.

The bathroom is way too tiny for him to play in. Maybe I'll try to make my own Fleece covered door insulator thing that they sell for drafty doors. That should hopefully keep him contained.

Thanks for all the insight! I won't waste my money on a safety gate.

Michelle

It might not be the most simple, but you could try to get a piece of chin safe wood and cut it to door size. Take the door off the hinges for a short time and attached the wood to the bottom of the door. That way their is no big gap. A sheet of wood and a few screws shouldn't be expensive, you'd just have to be able to do the work.
I'm not sure if you'd be willing to even do that at your place or not.

Back