safe wood for shelving

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RebeccaRose

Hello,

I am looking to make my own shelving for my chinchilla cage. All I can find online is that I would need 'kiln dried untreated white pine' but nowhere seems to know what this is. b&q etc only sell redwood pine or spruce.

Rather than use the wrong type of pine, is poplar ok, such as this: http://www.woodshopdirect.co.uk/planed-all-round/poplar-timber

Advice would be much appreciated as I really am having no luck so far.

Thank you

Rebecca

Thank you Ann :)

It has been a real nightmare, I am starting to think white pine is a myth haha.

I got two chinchillas from someone who could no longer care for them so they came with a very big tall cage and I want to create additional middle shelving to prevent long drops :)

Thank you :) have asked a furniture friend to source me some poplar. It seems difficult to get any of this wood around here.

Spruce is fine to use so long as it's kiln dried (same with fir), I've used it myself and it's been in their cage for at least 2 or 3 years now with no issue and they do chew on it. Poplar is good too though if you can get that. This is an incomplete list but does give you some more options for safe wood types.

Thank you.

It seems to be spruce everywhere in local stores, I've just been unsure seeing as everyone seems to say spruce is bad. but I'm fairly certain that's whats in my cage already (got from the previous owner) and they've got a clear bill of health from the vet so I'm sure it's fine too.

Latest posts

Back