Safe wire for cage building

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chindiccted

There are so many types of wire and i'd like to make sure whatever wire i get is chinchilla safe, could you all tell me some safe wire i'm going to be going to lowes for my cage building stuff. :bliss:

If you are going to Lowes, go to the garden section and near where the fence supplies are the wire will be. They keep it on a metal rack and the wire is in rolls. It is called "hardware cloth" and is sold in different lengths and different wire spacing. You don't want chicken wire as it is to thin and flimsy.
You are also going to need a really good pair of gloves and nippers to cut the wire. If you have a Harbor Freight in your area you can buy a pair for about $10 that cuts through it pretty easy.

If you are going to Lowes, go to the garden section and near where the fence supplies are the wire will be. They keep it on a metal rack and the wire is in rolls. It is called "hardware cloth" and is sold in different lengths and different wire spacing. You don't want chicken wire as it is to thin and flimsy.
You are also going to need a really good pair of gloves and nippers to cut the wire. If you have a Harbor Freight in your area you can buy a pair for about $10 that cuts through it pretty easy.
How much do the the rolls go for?

I wouldn't build a cage from hardware cloth. Doesn't seem to be too sturdy to me. 14ga wire is preferred and hardware cloth is probably somewhere around 18-20ga

Steven
CCChins

I'd check out a local feed/farm supply and see if they carry cage building materials. That seems more suitable than building material from Home Depot, etc. that could be treated with chemicals.

Back