Safe types of eye ointment?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoaea

O.o
My little guy Pebble got something in his eye while I was at work last night. By the time I got to him his eye had been sealed shut and the amount of dried eye boogers suggest that the foreign object was in there for some hours. I gently melted the crusts and even removed some with tweezers, it seems he had a piece of saw dust in there.

Meanwhile his eye looks unharmed and this evening when I woke up there was no sign of infection. However I noticed he had scratched his eye lid with his hind leg before I had been able to treat him. It is a superficial scratch with no bleeding but I am afraid it might get infected!

Should I just rinse it a few times a day with normal saline or is there an eye safe ointment I can buy to help it heal with out infection? I see many mentions of eye ointment use in the forum but no names/brands. I need something over the counter too, as I don't have the budget to pay a vet 250$ to tell me what I already know/ get a prescription. =( I want to be proactive and protect his vision!

Well looks like his eye lid is going to heal up with out any complications, but I still would like to know what we can use to treat cuts and abrasions near the eye! If this had been any other part of his body I could have used antibiotic ointment and peroxide to clean it, both you cant get near/in the eye!

Anyone know?

I googled something called Triple Antibiotic Ophthalmic Ointment, I think its perscription only and made for cats, dogs and horses, anyone know if it would be safe for chins?
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=9652

I use saline for eye flushes and meds from my vet. Depending on the chin and infection I have been prescribed drops or ointment or both.

Ok, so I guess we can only store up saline for eyes in a chin first aid kit, I wonder why there are no OTC eye meds. =(

Latest posts

Back