Safe Treats for Chinchillas?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just an update, I didnt think this thread was going to get this big/I thought it was done for so I kinda forgot about it....

The pet store took back the mixed treat container. I just told them I brought it home and the seal was off and I didn't feel comfortable using it. Since then I haven't really given him any treats, except maybe his "fluffy" part of the hay when I change it. For thanksgiving he got a cheerio, which he loved.

I was wondering, if my chinchillas are only 2 months old. Are they too young to have treats? I was told they have to be 6months and older to have treats.

So over time that sparingly given goji berry will hurt the chin.

MODERATION is the key - 1 goji berry once or twice a week isn't going to hurt him. If you give 1 oz of goji berries in a week then it is going to hurt him. If you give 1 oz of goji berries over a period of time you should not have to worry about it.

You also have to stop and think - how many treats am I giving him weekly... they all add up and each chin is different. That's also why we have these poo discussions on size, length, stickiness, etc.

Size of chin compared to size of Goji berry, you can't use that formula unless you factor that in.

Yes Dawn! Size comparison from human to chin is a big consideration that people don't think about that either.

Ronda

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back